PDA

View Full Version : ISO Dairy free, soy free, gluten free, egg free snack

RealLifeMama
04-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Any ideas?

findingjoy
04-05-2005, 09:42 AM
I make a granola with puffed rice cereal, brown rice flour, rice bran, shredded coconut, ground up (in the blender) sunflower and pumpkin seeds and honey. I bake it on 250 degrees for 20 minutes, then stir and bake another 20 minutes. I adapted the recipe from a regular granola recipe. I have learned to substitute lots of different ingredients in recipes. We can eat the granola dry or with rice milk and fruit as a cereal.

Also, you might want to try Larabars. They are a handy whole food snack, although kind of expensive. http://www.larabar.com

If I think of some other snack ideas I will post them. :)

RealLifeMama
04-05-2005, 10:19 AM
So does that mean that oats are not OK?

ShangriLewis
04-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Do you by any chance have a more exact recipe because that sounds good :yum

findingjoy
04-05-2005, 12:34 PM
I have read both ways about oats in the past, that they are ok for a gluten-free diet and that they aren't. We have used them in the past, but are avoiding them right now. I know celiacs who don't eat them and those that do. You can do a search on the web for gluten-free and oats to find out more info.

I will post a more exact recipe after dd goes to sleep for her nap. You can adjust the taste to suit you too. It's real flexible. :)

findingjoy
04-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Here's the original recipe that I adapted from, then I will list the changes I made.

4 cups rolled oats
1 cup crushed almonds
1/2 cup whole grain flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup whole grain bran
1 cup honey, sorghum, molasses or maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup pumpkin seeds

You can substitute puffed rice for some or all of the oats. I leave out the cinnamon, vanilla and almonds and I use less pumpkin seeds (they're kind of expensive) so my recipe looks something like this:

4 cups plain puffed rice cereal
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup rice bran
1 cup honey
1 cup pumpkin seeds

The recipe said to grind the seeds up a bit in the blender if you are going to dehydrate the granola instead of baking it. I like to grind them up anyway.
Mix ingredients together and spread evenly on a baking sheet. Bake at 250 degrees for 20 minutes, then stir and bake another 20 minutes. Cool before storing. You can also add dried fruit to the granola after it cools.
Enjoy! :)

Chris3jam
04-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Um, fruit and carrot sticks, maybe with a hummus dip? :D

Iansmama
04-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Even if you didn't want to order prepackaged foods from them,

www.enjoylifefoods.com

might have some ideas or ingredients you might like!

Ian LOVES their bagels! I get them at WFM.

ArmsOfLove
04-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Re: oats--they don't contain the dangerous gluten protein *but* they are often cross contaminated in the field or the mill. McCann's is for sure gluten free because they only do oats. the only problem with them then would be if you're allergic to the entire grass family. hth