PDA

View Full Version : arm hair

BeckaBlue
04-05-2005, 09:02 AM
im not sure where to put this

dd (5.5) has always been pretty hairy, she was born early and most of that hair they said shed lose she didnt, and well, it's getting very thick, especially on her arms. her legs are like mine were too, and i started shaving when i wa 10 (i had SERIOUSLY thick/long leg hair)

im getting ahead of myself here really, but if she wants to get the arm hair off, what the best way? shaving? waxing? i have no idea. or is there just a way to thin it our so it doesn't become a lifelong thing she'd hafta do?

I figure that shes got enough that in a few years i'd be ok letting her shave IF she cares about it and i dunno, i just wanna be prepared

cornflower
04-05-2005, 07:00 PM
My 4.5yo DD's arm hair is also *very* long. It is blond, though, so there isn't anything that can really be done. (And before someone reads this and thinks that I'm being vain on her behalf -- it is seriously 2" long in patches. :/) My DH and I have never said anything *to* her about it, but we've both "worried" about it in terms of her being teased. Just a couple of weeks ago, she mentioned it and asked if I could cut it, "Like you do Daddy's head hairs." So I did... I used a 1/2" guard on the clippers and just hit the high spots. I was afraid that the cut ends would be noticeable, but it isn't really since her hair is blond.

If your DD's hair is dark, then laser treatments would ultimately be the most effective (and therefore least expensive in the long run). Laser isn't as painful as electrolysis, but it is still painful, so it would have to be something she really *wanted* to do.

tree_hugger
04-05-2005, 11:55 PM
I would start applying a hair growth retardant after her baths - as long as she's not allergic, of course. I think Johnsons makes one. So in a few years, by the time she's getting self consious, hopefully the problem won't be so severe that it requires laser/electrolosis.

I have had laser treatment and I found it to be very painful. :/

BeckaBlue
04-07-2005, 06:49 AM
hers is brown and thick and fuzzy! were in the same boat kinda though. i don't ever make mentin to her about it, and i feel vain thinking about it, lol!

where can i get the hair growth retardents? i dont spend much time in the beuaty aisles, just to grab and go, lol! is that where they're at? I think that'd be the best way to go for now. that's the type of thing i was hoping for something that would help it be controlled by the time SHE cares. i dont want her teased like i was :rolleyes, and leg hair's easier to cover then arm hair

AKCristyMJ
04-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Very good question btw!

I too was cursed with hairyness.
I was born with very pale clear skin, but black thick hair.....not JUST on me head. :(
I wore long sleeves a lot.
Then I even shaved it!!!
Finnaly I quit doing both and....nobody even cared, only 1 person my whole life even commented on it.

But I do know that self conscienceness bout it.
At least YOU care, my mom did nothing to help me and refused to let me shave my legs untill I was 14!!!!!!!! :wow :mad
Ugh.

But there are many ways to handle this.
First if you and dd get out in the sun enough then spray on either natural lemon juice/water or the store made kind that uses the sun to lighten your hair! It works pretty well.
You could even try-like during long sleeve season-regular hair dye in any lighter shade, get the mild gentle kinds.
You can try store brand gentle hair bleaches or hair removals. Find the gentlest there is, you can try looking for kinds designed to bleach eyebrows or eyelashes, those are usually pretty gentle.

Another trick is using spray on fake skin tanners to make the hair less obvious.

I had to use ALL these tricks in the yrs before my mom finnaly let me shave/use hair removal an all.
I mostly just tried to get out in the sun a lot to both tan my skin and naturally lighten my body hair.
I had to begin plucking face hair by the time I was 9.
And was sneaking my moms razor to do my armpits an all by age 12.

I'd mention it to the Ped too and try Google for more advice.

Sometimes the problem gets worse at puberty, and sometimes it gets better.
But I guess more than anything just don't ignore the issue-as my mom did-and don't create nor trivalize insecurity over it.
I mean I'm sitting here typing with hairy arms and gosh I so don't care, neither does anyone else!!

Keep us updated!!
Good luck! :highfive