PDA

View Full Version : Dinner time ideas?

The Tickle Momster
04-04-2005, 10:19 PM
My ds has been having trouble at dinner time. Tonight was the first time when dh was home. (I thought the problem was that he missed daddy.) Just after dinner starts he will start crying to get down (he's almost 2.5) and want to climb in my lap. The rule in our house is that they can sit in my lap and I'll feed them AFTER I have eaten my dinner. My 3.5 y/o is fine with this & understands. DS on the other hand will cry and continuously try to climb into my lap. Tonight it went on for a while so I finally told him he needed to stop crying and he could stay next to me or he could cry & sit on the couch. I ended up putting him on the couch with a blanket & a kiss, telling him I loved him & he could be with me when he stopped crying. It was difficult to have a conversation with him screaming right next to me. I was very calm as I moved him and tried to be as gentle & firm as I could. It took about 5 more minutes for him to stop crying & then he came over & waited calmly for me to finish my last 3 bites. Then he ate plenty from my lap. Could I have done things differently? Any other ideas?

believer
04-05-2005, 06:26 PM
:hug It sounds like you did a great job to me. I have had the same experience before. It is hard to enjoy your meal when your dear child is upset.

ArmsOfLove
04-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Sounds like you handled it fine. Different families will draw the line different places for what is okay at dinner and other times. If that is your line then you defended it kindly and firmly and that's great :clap

The Tickle Momster
04-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the encouragement & reassurance. Funny how certain lines are easier to draw than others.