PDA

View Full Version : If you had to choose one type of tomato plant. . . .

cklewis
04-04-2005, 06:59 PM
What would it be? Your favorite hybrid or vintage "breed"?

C

snlmama
04-04-2005, 07:19 PM
It's a tie between a good old beefsteak tomato (for sandwiches, frying or in spaghetti sauce) or yellow pear tomatoes. :yum
But, if anyone is handing out any homegrown ones right now, I'll take what you've got. :yum

snlmama
04-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Oh, and rereading your title, did you mean to grow or to eat. This year I'm growing a hybrid "patio" tomato, some hybrid that claims to have extra of that stuff that prevents cancer (lycophene? is that what's in tomatoes?) and one other that I forget but I was in a rush and wanted a third.
The yellow pears or easy to grow but you have to start them yourself from seed (at least no garden stores here sell them in pots) and I had sicko kids during the timeframe I should have been doing that. I couldn't find a beefsteak at the store either. :shrug But, my dad grows my favs every year and they are awesomely yummy and easy for him to grow. :P

boonpnutsmom
04-04-2005, 07:28 PM
We have found that Roma tomatoes do the best here in out specific yard, some cherry tomatos too.

cklewis
04-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Well, I grew yellow pears from seed 4 years ago, and i get some plants volunteer every year. I'll say one thing for that plant -- it's resilient.

But which beefsteak and which roma? I don't have good luck choosing. Someone told me to get Mr. Stripey. YUCK! It was awful. Blech.

C

boonpnutsmom
04-05-2005, 12:13 AM
I want to try thr grape tomatos, I go through way too many from the stores as do our turtles and plecos they love them. Our pleco can' eat alomst a whole basket them selves in a few days time and we only have 7.

doubleblessings
04-05-2005, 05:08 AM
Well we tried the Juliet (I think) grape tomatoes and they were fine, but much bigger than the grape ones at the store. I like the Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes. We planted some 4 years ago and it was very prolific (sp?) anyway we have had those every year since without having to plant them (just be a little lazy about picking them all and let a few rot and fall off :laughtears). We plant romas (whatever we can find because we have never gotten it together to start with seeds) for sauce. I haven't had a lot of luck with the big tomatoes like beefsteak. Maybe I will try again this year.

mommyTay
04-05-2005, 07:21 PM
I am not sure what to recommend for larger tomatoes, but we always have to plant cherry or grape tomatoes.
Ever since Micah was big enough to wander to the garden, he would raid my tomato patch! Those are his favorites!

Iarwain
04-06-2005, 09:59 AM
So to jump on someone else's thread...

What kind is best for salsa? I wanna make a bunch of salsa this year.

Thanks for the tip on Mr. Stripey. I was planning to get that one for fresh eating 'cause it is low-acid and looks interesting.

snlmama
04-11-2005, 11:32 AM
OK, finally looked it up. I think Better Boy is the variety I like. I've never tried Mr. Stripey. Is it really stripey?
I'd probably use Romas for salsa, but you can probably use about any variety.

MamaKanga
05-07-2005, 04:56 AM
I love Better Boys, so that would be my choice. Followed by Grape and Juliblee (yellow). Beefsteaks are good, as are Big Boys and romas. We also plant a couple of early girls.

Ick, I didn't like Mr. Stripey either. It was pretty, though!

cklewis
05-07-2005, 03:04 PM
I love Better Boys, so that would be my choice. Followed by Grape and Juliblee (yellow). Beefsteaks are good, as are Big Boys and romas. We also plant a couple of early girls.

Ick, I didn't like Mr. Stripey either. It was pretty, though!

See -- my yield was like TWO! And so I never really got to see them. :(

But I bought Better Boys this year. Can't wait. This is the month that I sit and :hissyfit at my tomatoes that they aren't blooming yet.

C

Wikolia
05-07-2005, 09:30 PM
well, I am growing several varities this year-better boy, early girl, beefsteak, grape tomatoes, yellow pear, and cherry. Also have some indeterminate variety. The beefsteaks are what I want most, and they are struggling the most :( having very unseasonably cool weather.
Vicki