PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who just can't decide..here's a babystep

ShangriLewis
04-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Just pick something. Then buy yourself a 3 ring binder. Put, a numbered index in there. Now use it. Everytime you see a post or anew thing you want to use you print it out and copy it and put it in the binder. Get a 3 whole punch if you don't have it already. Divide your binder into things like subjects, curriculum, activities and grades..I don't care. Just get that out of your system!!!

Now pick something and do it. Try it for at least 6 months to a year. Journal how you feel in your notebook. Journal your thoughts, realizations and frustrations.

You know what you just did. You kept yourself busy with something creative and helpful to your family. Instead of worrying yourself and not teaching your children. Then pick a time to go through the binder. Like 6 months to a year from now. Purge and reorganize. You will then be able to see how your children handle their days and what they enjoy.

Say Child A really likes Science and isn't doing well with math. Then you just find your Science section and decide you will add some extra reading with Magic School Bus and activites from KONOS. And, you decide to change from Math U See to Abeka. Make a note in your child's section and move on.

Say Child B hates Science and loves History. You decide that he will start doing the same hands on activites with child A from KONOS and that child A will read to child B. Then you will make one night a week History night where you watch a History movie and act out the scenes in that person or the events of that time. Maybe you will try focus on History and Science together in those nights...like electricity.

Have some more kids so you can run a few more experiments!

Heather

Sara
04-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Heather!! Were you directing this at me!?!
:roll

Just kidding. I know there are others who can't decide as well. Thanks for the advice! :highfive

ShangriLewis
04-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Noooo.......but I couldn't get your post out of my head. So, your my inspiration :hearts

Sara
04-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Aw, gee...thanks! ;) So glad I could provide you with some inspiration. :lol

I'm getting very close to making a decision, just for the record!

lumpofclay
04-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Well, I am just getting more confused! :/

Thanks, Heather, for the idea. I think it would help me to have a notebook. Now that I'm looking around again, certain curriculums sound familiar, but I can't remember what I read about them last year (or whenever I last looked). If I had a notebook, that would solve this problem!

blessedmama21
04-05-2005, 11:33 AM
i call my 3-ring notebook my "brain."

Winkie
04-05-2005, 12:53 PM
good idea - thanks! :)

ShangriLewis
04-05-2005, 03:22 PM
i call my 3-ring notebook my "brain."

:laughtears

I've just found it so much easier to put stuff away. Even with chores, I just put a chore in the next day. If I plan too much into one day I get dissapointed with myself and irritated with the boys.

Heather

2TMama
04-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Good tip.......thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!