PDA

View Full Version : My little girl is sick...

Mama Bird
04-04-2005, 01:40 PM
...and she hardly ever gets sick. What should I do? She's running a fever. It's 80 degrees outside today and she's freezing, huddled asleep under sheet, blanket, and comforter. She says her throat is sore when she yawns or talks or coughs. She is coughing all the time. Very phlegmmy-sounding too. Her eyes are watering, her nose constantly running. I hesitate to take her to the doc, because, as wonderful as he is...he always prescribes antibiotics. To throw another monkey wrench into the plans...we are leaving Thursday to visit our month-old-nephew and his brother and sisters. Help!

Mama Bird
04-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Her fever is 102.6. Help! What do I do?

Gretchen
04-04-2005, 03:16 PM
:hugs

I know others will disagree, but I would give Motrin. It sounds like she's pretty miserable. Other than that, if she's sleeping, that will help (my kids never sleep when they're sick :rolleyes). I'd probably give frequent Vitamin C and also a probiotic if you have one. Make sure she's staying hydrated. And pray. :pray

Gretchen

cobluegirl
04-05-2005, 07:31 PM
how is she now? fevers are good things but trust your intuition too. I wouldn't give motrin but she is not my child either. it might make her more comfortable and she will be able to sleep better. It will also mask the symptoms which isn't always a good thing. Is she staying hydrated? That is a big concern. She may have strep? doesn't that start with a fever?

Mama Bird
04-05-2005, 09:32 PM
It is so odd. She's struggling right now with a cold. Yesterday afternoon she was burning up. She took a nap, then rested on my bed with the window open, and cooled right down. No sign of a fever. Her poor nose is raw from all the wiping.

I asked her if her throat still hurt, and she said she feels fine.

Why on earth to children get unexplained fevers?

cobluegirl
04-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Fevers just mean that there is something in the body that doesn't need to be there..so the body turns up the heat to get rid of it. We just don't always know what that something is....