PDA

View Full Version : So, what shoudl I do next:)

sarahandmadelinesm
04-04-2005, 01:16 PM
I have been trying for hte last 18 months or so, to lead a more healty lifestyle (well, me, the girls, and DH) :)
I never smoked, and rarely drink (once a year, if that?)
So far, I have :
switched from equal and splenda to stevia
switched as much as possible to organic (mostly produce and grains)
increased the fiber in our daily diets (i.e. switched from white to whole grain, from semolina pasta to whole wheat, etc.
So, any ideas on what we shoudl do next?
I make our soaps and most of our cleaners (Outside of bleach), none of us really like foods that have dyes, so that hasn't been an issue.
I am ready to tackle a new challenge, just need some direction as to what to fix up next:)

cobluegirl
04-04-2005, 03:07 PM
I think you are doing really well....
someone else may have some good info for you.

Gretchen
04-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Do you eat many processed foods/foods with artificial preservatives? That would probably be the next thing I'd tackle (if applicable).

I'm not sure if you eat meat or dairy, but if so, then I'd recommend moving toward organic dairy and hormone/antibiotic free meats. (organic meat is great but hard to find and sooooo expensive)

Gretchen

GodisGood
04-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Do you eat many processed foods/foods with artificial preservatives? That would probably be the next thing I'd tackle (if applicable).

I'm not sure if you eat meat or dairy, but if so, then I'd recommend moving toward organic dairy and hormone/antibiotic free meats. (organic meat is great but hard to find and sooooo expensive)

Gretchen

I totally agree. You're doing a great job though. If you have a co-op or a Whole Foods you'll find hormone/antibiotic free easily. However, prepare to :hissyfit over the prices.

sarahandmadelinesm
04-06-2005, 06:35 AM
We actually have a whole foods store in mount pleasant (a 70 minute ride, but in a pretty shopping center with other shops we visit occasionally. I may get DH to bring us down there next weekend so I can check it out. Our healthfood store here is all we have, and they have mostly canned/packaged things and supplements, not a lot of real food. Or grocer finally gets organic produce, so that helps:)
Thanks so much for responding, I am glad to have somethign new to check out!

RealLifeMama
04-06-2005, 06:40 AM
I think the hormone free/antibiotic meat would be a good thing. Whole Foods prices aren't that bad for some things. The ground beef is the same price as regular grocery stores, and it goes further, IMO. You could buy the other meats and just use less.

That you could try to focus on exercise and activity. ( I don't know how active you are now, my kids are not terribly actuve right now) Now that the weather is getting nicer in most areas, it is time to get outdoors and be more active!

TillSuper6
04-06-2005, 11:43 AM
I am new to this life style as well. We have been eating organically for about 3 months. At first it was a big sticker shock, but the more I shop and cook from scratch and eat better I find that we eat less and our food last us longer. We don't buy anymore convience food and I bake and cook from scratch it seems to stick with me and the kiddies for longer. I know at first I :hissyfit when I started shopping at Whole Foods, but now that we have transitioned it equals out to be about 50 more and for a family of 6. I have truly falling in love with practicing yoga it has giving me such balance and not to mention the flexibility :mrgreen. My stamina has improved tremendously trying to keep up with my bunch. Keep on pushing it is so well worth it.