PDA

View Full Version : History again

lumpofclay
04-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Ok, so I'm interested in SOTW after the recommendations I got in my last post about history. We're in the middle of OT History, using the Greenleaf Press Guide. We've enjoyed using that guide this year, but I'd like something with more activities. Could I use SOTW Volume 1, with some stuff from that Ancient Greece & Ancient Rome GLP Guides? Is that too much? Maybe I could switch to the SOTW book/activity guide, and buy the recommended books for the GLP Guides. I do still need Volume 1, right?

Chandler said, yesterday, that history was her favorite "subject" in school. She was asked that question for the yearbook. I thought that was an interesting answer. I think she said it because we had been talking about how I didn't learn history chronologically in school and that I never liked history because I didn't understand it. She was thrilled that everything was "coming together for her" and "made sense" because she was learning how it all happened in order. :mrgreen

As soon as y'all get me straightened out with history, I'm going to post more questions. . . :lol

ArmsOfLove
04-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Absolutely! The way that SOTW is set up is that you can do it as quickly or as slowly as you like. There are activities and suggested reading and questions for each section, but you're also encouraged to spend as much time on one subject as you like. So you could start at the beginning and spend a set amount of time on everything up to Greece and Rome and then spend a whole year there if you want ;) I pull stuff out of KONOS and other places when I see something that fits.

ShangriLewis
04-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Since, the library has it I went ahead and ordered the vol 1 and the guide to go with it. I'm trying to add a little more to our day. Gibran really needs it. I think he is really smart and I never noticed and neither did his school. He loves to learn. I was that way when I was younger, too. I was often sitting in the corner because I read all my textbooks ahead of time and new everything. Plus, I have this sweat thing..lol. I was HOT in high school..so I made up for it right :smile

Oh yeah..anyway....

Crystal do you notebook with it, too. We have just started notebooking with Konos. We were going by Character trait, but I'm thinking of switching to subject instead. I think it would be easier to understand. Plus, easier for me to see what we have worked on and what we need to work on. Any thoughts?

We plan on still doing KONOS and working in a little Chronological History as we go.

Heather

ArmsOfLove
04-05-2005, 07:15 PM
We have a narration notebook but have been horrible at doing anything formal this school year :blush I feel like someone just ripped 8 months out of my calendar :rolleyes

Teribear
04-05-2005, 07:39 PM
No advice...but the mail lady delivered my SOTW today. I'm so excited!
:jump

Piper2
04-07-2005, 08:41 AM
Terri, maybe you can bring that when we meet later this month so I can take a look at it before the curriculum fair? It sounds like something I might possibly be able to use with Weaver, too.