PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read A to Z Mysteries?

lenswyf
04-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Ds loves the Boxcar Children, and I was wondering about introducing some other mystery books. Has anyone here read the A to Z Mysteries? I'm always concerned about attitudes represented toward peers and adults, etc.

CelticJourney
04-03-2005, 11:57 AM
The only thing I dont' like about A to Z, and we have and have read them all (I think), is that Ruth Rose exclaims "Oh my god" when she is surprised. I did them as read-a-louds and just changed that one part.

Gretchen
04-04-2005, 02:52 PM
They use them at my daughter's school, and I always enjoy it when I'm assigned to the reading group that is reading those books (I usually have to peek ahead to see how it ends, LOL :mrgreen). I have not noticed the exclamation that the previous poster recommended or any other questionable language, but I read with that group only 3-4 times a month, so I'm just getting bits and pieces of the stories. The kids' attitudes towards adults seem to be really respectful.

The only thing I've found odd (and if I was actually reading the books in their entirety, this might be explained) is that these kids seem to spend a lot of time traveling away from their parents. But how many mysteries are there in Green Lawn, CT? I guess it makes sense that they would need a change of scenery. :lol

Gretchen

lenswyf
04-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Thank you!