PDA

View Full Version : Question for those of you whose kids aren't cosleeping anymore...

puffballpopple
04-02-2005, 03:39 PM

jmh1013
04-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Okay, dh and I don't have any dc, but my little brother was co-sleeping with my mom. He didn't stop until he was 10? 11? and he still at 14 does occaisionally hmmmm

I never co-slept, so I don't have any other info. ... HTH :)

Lyn
04-05-2005, 03:06 PM
We co-slept with our older children until they were 5.5 and 2.5. Our oldest child was happy with the transition. Our younger child finally started sleeping all night in her bed (they share a room with a bunk bed) sometime during her 3yo year. We're comfortable with having our kids in our room until they're 3. Our dd was moved out early due to my 3rd pregnancy. Dh needed nighttime alone with me. Dd was a tremendous bed hog! :lol

wuzzie
04-05-2005, 05:14 PM
DD is almost 5 and still is in our room. She sleeps on the floor because we don't have enough room in the bed, but she also has no problem sleeping in another room.

Laurlor
04-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Our DD's didn't actually tell us they were ready, but we moved them because DS was on the way. They were almost 5.5 and 3.5 and did awesome. We made a "princess" room for them to share which is right next to our room, and they have never tried to even come in our bed at night (although we would have let them)! My parents were so surprised by that, and I explained to them that when you meet their needs when they are young, they should be ready without feeling anxiety about it...they were actually impressed and believe me now!

milkmommy
04-07-2005, 03:11 PM
....when did they leave the family bed on their own choosing? My girl is 3 and we happily cosleep. But I'm just wondering when do children usually decide to sleep on their own?

Amanda

Well we did a little of both "bed weaning" and self weaning... When DD was around 9 month she started getting very restless and noone was getting sleep. I worked nights and DH worked three diffrent daytime jobs (two weekly and one weekend) so slep was important we finially figured she slept better in her crib so we gently taught her to sleep in it but kept her in our room. We'd bring her into our bed if she woke..
When we moved we decided that we'd make room #2 into her room but wouldn't force her to sleep in it. (new house new town never been in seperate room) however :lol day one she say the little bed we got for her and she was hooked shes pretty much been in her own room totaly on her own ever since she was 22 months. We allow her to cosleep and occasional (like last night) she does but shes been pretty much "self weaned" since she wa two.

Deanna

nutmeggmama
04-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Same thing as deanna...we were at my parents house, and there was an extra room next door so we said hey noah, here where we are, come find us if you needs us...and it was fine. :) Then when we moved back to Vancouver, we started him in his own room, and he came in our room when he felt the need each night. Now he sleeps DOWNSTAIRS in this new house by himself!!!! He's 4.5! When we moved here, dh and I were like, Noah, you can sleep on our floor if you want he said no, I like my room!!! :eek :mrgreen Also when we moved in here (first week of March) we put Selah into our hall closet, its a walk in :) and she sleeps there most of the night, usually. She knows where we are and gets in bed with us and Jonas in the wee hours. Jonas likes to sleep at night, so we may move him out soon :wow and see how it goes :)

Katherine
04-10-2005, 07:20 AM
My 3.5 yo has always been a die-hard co-sleeper, but just recently he has started wanting to sleep on the mat in the floor of our room (foam pad doubled in thickness with soft comforters over it) He usually comes back to sleep with me at some point during the night, but he is choosing to start out on the mat almost every night.

puffballpopple
04-11-2005, 08:04 AM
I assume that some of you had children that were already weaned from the breast before weaning from the family bed? My dd informed me yesterday that she'll be done nursing when she's 4. So I wonder if it will be around the same time that she decides to sleep by herself :shrug

Amanda

MagnoliaMommy
04-11-2005, 08:28 AM
A little over age 3 for ds. :)

milkmommy
04-11-2005, 09:24 AM
I assume that some of you had children that were already weaned from the breast before weaning from the family bed? My dd informed me yesterday that she'll be done nursing when she's 4. So I wonder if it will be around the same time that she decides to sleep by herself :shrug

Amanda

Thats cute... to aswer your question kinda she was night weined before she left, but she still nurses. Recently we've been working on once a day only so she comes in the morning to nurse then she pulls me outta bed to feed her cheerios :rolleyes

Deanna

poetmom
04-11-2005, 06:40 PM
....when did they leave the family bed on their own choosing? My girl is 3 and we happily cosleep. But I'm just wondering when do children usually decide to sleep on their own?

Amanda

All three of mine moved out of our bed when they were between two and three...to a futon on our bedroom floor. They went from that to the futon on their bedroom floor, then to their own bed. The whole process took about a year, give or take a few months.

godsgracegiven
04-15-2005, 02:00 AM
Ds co-sleep w/ us for about 2.5 years. DD moved in to her bed at the same age, but they both still climb in bed with us sometimes. Well, DD spends the second half of the morning in our bed. So maybe that is still considered co-sleeping. She likes sleeping in her bed but what I think is so cool, is when she climbs in bed with me, she is never crying or upset. She always comes in to or room with a huge smile and snuggle right up next to me and goes right back to sleep :hearts

phathui5
04-15-2005, 02:28 PM
My ds was out of our bed before he was weaned from nursing. He did nurse until a little after he was four, but was sleeping in his own bed between 2.5 and 3.

Lyn
04-16-2005, 09:38 PM
:tol
Dd nursed for a year and a half after moving out of the family bed. She was night weaned and I would lie with her in her bed for bedtime nursing. She came to our bed for morning nursing. My dd weaned on her 4th birthday. Just today when ds was nursing she insisted that she wasn't done yet and she would nurse again when she's 5. :lol Where's the flying pig icon? :laughtears