PDA

View Full Version : Disequlibrium blues -- HELP

cklewis
04-02-2005, 03:09 PM
For the last two hours, I have had a 15mo who's teetered between nearly inconsolable and just whiney. Finally he's settled in for nursing, and I have some quiet. I know he's sleepy, but he just won't sleep. He needs to sleep, but everything I've tried so far has failed to calm him down.

Maybe part of this is just today -- Daddy had to leave the house at 6 and so we all were up at 5 -- too early. Finally we napped from 8-10. This is after I heard myself saying things like "You're having big feelings today." "Wow -- you're upset." "I will not be held hostage to your feelings" -- this was said after I plopped him down in the middle of the floor and said "I'm right here." I needed time to cool off. He finally realized that the nursings I had been offering him over and over and over weren't such a bad idea, and he settled in. He was asleep in 5 min.

The same exact scenario happened again just now. He's finally nursing, but his eyes are still open.

Here's another thing. DS and I had lunch with grandma and grandpa. And except for a near tantrum over a squished, on-the-floor french fry I wouldn't let him have (this was the first fit my parents had ever observed in him, and it wasn't so bad), he was an angel. He waved at everyone. He walked past other tables and waved. He coaxed smiles out of sullen teenagers. Charming, just charming.

My mom, a fellow introvert, and I were giggling at Isaac "working the crowd" when my Dad, Mr. Extrovert, starts a Spanish conversation with the hostess. Out of the blue. Dad was "working th crowd" too, I realized. Is my DS another extrovert like his G-pa? Is it too early to tell? Is the reason he's so fussy is that he's only had mama today and he needs to go see other people?

Well, just brooding about that. . . . Any suggestions about how I can better cope with disequilibrium?

Ah. . . . he's asleep now. Whew!!

C

4blessings
04-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Have you tried a change of scenery? When my children were babies (and sometimes even now that they're older), if we having a day like you describe, I'd put them in the the stroller and we'd go for a walk. Or I'd take them outside and just walk around and talk about the trees, clouds, etc. Maybe that would help.

ArmsOfLove
04-02-2005, 04:26 PM
It actually sounds more like he's a social introvert--like all that working the crowd may have overwhelmed him and he was out of sorts. He also sounds overtired. Is he maybe showing signs of being tired before you are putting him down? What is the routine for getting him to sleep? Is it maybe too long? Confusing?

cklewis
04-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Have you tried a change of scenery?

That might have worked today. It was uncharacteristically cold today, and I tried change of scenery in the house.

It actually sounds more like he's a social introvert--like all that working the crowd may have overwhelmed him and he was out of sorts. He also sounds overtired. Is he maybe showing signs of being tired before you are putting him down? What is the routine for getting him to sleep? Is it maybe too long? Confusing?

Well, for naps it's been pretty easy and simple (to me). He rubs his eyes. Mommy picks him up and says "How about pah-poo?" Mommy surfs, and he's out. Bedtime's a bigger deal, but Daddy's present for that, and he's stronger and more firm. Bedtime is dinner, bath, jammies (with about two books in the getting dressed process), teeth, nursing, and snuggle from Daddy, and he's out.

Maybe the weird morning threw everything off? Getting everyone (including myself) off to a very bad start. I tried almost everything today -- at one point, he was even fighting nursing. I tried bearhugging. That made him madder. Rocking calmed him down, but then he would raise up with a start as if to say, "I'm not fussy!" :doh I tried singing. Same thing -- calm and then EXTRA happy. Maybe he missed Daddy?

Any clues in that?

THANKS!! :hearts

C

ArmsOfLove
04-02-2005, 05:59 PM
I think he was probably overwhelmed and overstimulated from being out all morning :)

cklewis
04-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks so much, Crystal. I really think that's it. And the defragging. . . .

DH is home, and DS is almost asleep in his arms. Oops -- I spoke too soon. :hissyfit <-- That's DS. But wait -- DH lured him into rest again.

Whew. :clap

C

greenemama
04-02-2005, 07:43 PM
for some reason my dh has the same magic effect on henry. :clap it's so nice.

:hug sorry it's been a rough day.