PDA

View Full Version : First Real Homeschool Trip

Stonebeck Farm
04-02-2005, 11:26 AM
We went on our first real homeschool trip with the local homeschool group on Friday. It was so much fun. We went to the university in town to the Planetarium and had an awesome presentation. It was geared for kids K-6 so a few of the topics were above DS's head. But overall, he liked it and was even able to tell Daddy a little about what he saw. He really liked the pictures of the moon and the phases of the moon demonstration. I definitely want to take him again in a couple of years (although I would go every year if we set up a trip.) Also it was neat to see all the homeschool families. :) The bonus was that it was only $1 per person.

(At one point though it was a little embarrassing- out of the blue he asked in a loud whisper- Mama can I nurt? (nurse)- :blush this from the child who has not nursed in public in years and only is allowed to nurse once a day and some times goes a few days! I did nurse his sister however under a coat when out of the blue she started talking and didn't want to stop- my child who rarely talks in public and is known for being super quiet and just sitting! :rolleyes)

On Tuesday another homeschool mom and I did an unofficial trip up to the Butterfly museum to see the Butterfly Go Free Exhibit. The highlight for the 5 kids was seeing how many butterflies would land on you. It was lots of fun but definitely more expensive than the planetarium. Although not as expensive as the zoo I just looked into for this Thursday- $17.99 Canadian for DS, $10.99 Canadian for DD and $23.99 Canadian for me. I need to find a different option for Thursday. My friend and I are going on a two hour trip to get really cheep bread from a Canadian bakery in Quebec and we though we would add a field trip to make the 4 hour drive worth while. It's not going to be the Granby Zoo...... :rolleyes

ArmsOfLove
04-02-2005, 11:30 AM
what a great day :)

hearttender4
04-02-2005, 07:12 PM
What fun homeschool trips you're doing. :) I LOVE butterflies!

Sara
04-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Melissa, That sounds like so much fun! I took my girls to a butterfly place last spring and my oldest just loved it (my youngest was a little young to care, LOL!).

Sandy
04-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Sounds great!

Your title made me think of a cartoon I saw at convention. A lady is visiting someone in the hospital and she says to the patient...I brought the kids with me so we can call it a field trip!

Stonebeck Farm
04-03-2005, 05:47 PM
A lady is visiting someone in the hospital and she says to the patient...I brought the kids with me so we can call it a field trip!

:laughtears sadly it sounds like me! I get to "drag" (take) my kids to all the cool places I want to visit. Maybe I'll call the bakery and see if they'll turn our visit in this Thusday to buy bread into a field trip.