PDA

View Full Version : The last off comment from my mother

MamaBeth
04-01-2005, 08:18 PM
She was asking when we'll be moving to NC. I said that it looks like it'll be June before we get out of here, and she said "Well that'll be good. They'll have the summer to settle in before they go back to school." I replied, "No, mom, they're not going to go to school. We're going to continue to homeschool. There is a large and very active group in Wilmington that we're looking forward to joining, and I think it'll be great for the children." She says "Oh I'm sure, and there will be antlers on the wall and gun racks in the trucks too."

SIGH...other than it being snotty (remember her "you must have been brainwashed by some back country ultrafundamentalist cult" comment from earlier") and totally offbase I thought it was hilarious. I'm beginning to look forward to whatever lame stereotype is going to come out of her mouth next.

So anyone got any ankle length denim jumpers? I might need one come Halloween.

Actually, Paul and I have a running joke since we were supposed to have gone to the UP of Michigan. He was talking about looking forward to going hunting again, although he wasn't sure about hunting moose since he's used to deer hunting. So there's a whole line of moose items you can get...flannel bed sheets, "Got Moose" shirts, wood toilet seat and cover with a moose woodburned into it...cute stuff really...so every now and again we'll just say "OH, I just need to go get some Moose" or whatever....

ANYWAY..antlers are antlers, right? So I think I should get a catalog with some moose print stuff in it and send it to my mother and say "Thought you might want to know the decor we're planning for after our move so you can plan for matching towels for Christmas" (She's got this "I'll just send a set of towels for Christmas gift" thing going on)....but that would be disrespectful so I won't...but I'll giggle over it anyway!

rosesnsnails
04-01-2005, 08:41 PM
:hug :lol What ya gonna do? :lol

lenswyf
04-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Take notes. It will be fun to laugh about later with her. "Remember when you told me my children would _____ if I homeschooled?"

Piper2
04-02-2005, 05:49 PM
:rolleyes

Some people can't keep from spouting off "hick" stereotypes. Someone (I won't say who) saw a letter our college band director (who was from Michigan) wrote to a colleague about what it was like teaching in GA. In it, he commented that it took him months to get everybody to wear shoes at marching practice (not true, just a few people liked to go barefoot) and that all everybody talked about were beer and trucks, trucks and beer. FTR, I hate going barefoot, especially on that bee-infested practice field, and I seriously doubt the Mormon French Horn section leader would appreciate it being suggested that she talked about beer all the time! :doh

And a couple of Christmases ago, I made soup jars for everybody, and when I gave one to DH's uncle (who's from Pennsylvania and thinks I'm a big hick) he looked at the tag and said, "Is it 'confetti' bean soup, or 'Confederate' bean soup?" :rolleyes I could have said lots of things -- we both have ancestors who fought in the Civil War and something along the lines of it being too bad somebody's gun jammed at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain -- but I settled for a dirty look. :mad

It's great you have a good attitude about it, though. Sending her the moose stuff sounds like a plan to me. ;)