PDA

View Full Version : WWYD about punitive friend?

poleidopy
04-01-2005, 08:09 PM
So, the other day my friend and I were at a consignment store looking at Junie B. books for her son. I found the Sears' "Nighttime Parenting" for a few bucks and showed it to her, saying what a great book it is and that it was by a Christian (a BIG deal for her.) She just laughed and said Oh "J" (her 14mo) sleeps fine in her own crib now. It only took three days. My dh thought I was torturing her, but it worked!" So how did they get their dd to sleep? After watching Nanny 911 :doh, you all know the episode I'm talking about, she decided her dd needed to stop sleeping in her and her dh's bed, but in her own crib in her own room. And they let her CIO. :mad :cry for 3 nights. :bheart So, not knowing what to say, I said nothing. :hissyfit

She is my closest friend here, I spend time w/her every day, but our parenting styles are SO different! Nobody in her house talks- they all scream at each other. She is constantly yelling "I can't stand you guys! " "Stop being a --------(sometimes she just says jerk, sometimes a profanity.)" "Just go to your room, I can't stand to see you right now!" and stuff like that. They usually only spank, but sometimes she has slapped (in the face), kicked, and often she pulls on her dc's ears or hair. She always feels horrible later, but says she doesn't know how to handle them. (Her kids are 7yo ds, 3.5yo dd, 14mo dd. It's mostly the 7yo w/ADHD she can't stand, but when the 3yo screams or the 14mo is fussy, she doesn't know what to do & goes crazy. :banghead

I just don't know what to do. She sees how I act w/her children, marvels that I can get her 3yo to eat most of her dinner when she NEVER can, that her 7yo will listen to me and do his homework (I make it fun instead of telling him he is doing it wrong and calling him ignorant :/) and that her 14mo will curl up in my sling and sit content for hours. She does hold the baby all day, she just has this attitude of frustration that is always present and her kids definitely sense it.

I need some advice ladies. Please don't tell me to stop being her friend. She has many issues that I face too, that I have nobody else to talk to about, and she has helped me a great deal. I was friends with her before I saw how she parented, and I am not about to stop being friends with her. She would never treat my child like she treats hers. She is losing hope and struggling with depression, among other things. She just can't "get a grip." She is on meds and stuff, she just really needs a friend. I don't mind being her friend, I see her changing slightly, but how can I rub off on her more? how can I get her to see that there are gentler ways to do things? Any suggestions on boks I can get her? Thanks for listening.

ArmsOfLove
04-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Kawani--given the circumstances you mentioned I'd probably start encouraging her to watch the Nanny Deb episodes of Nanny911 and Supernanny. While not being GBD/PD totally they are against the punitive and violent/aggressive ways she is currently interacting with her children. A naughty spot is much better than pulling ears and slapping faces :( It sounds like there is chaos in her life and maybe if she can get some calm in her parenting she would be open to moving farther in the direction of Grace-Based Discipline. :hug

Heather Micaela
04-02-2005, 01:41 AM
Nobody in her house talks- they all scream at each other. She is constantly yelling "I can't stand you guys! " "Stop being a --------(sometimes she just says jerk, sometimes a profanity.)" "Just go to your room, I can't stand to see you right now!" and stuff like that.

They usually only spank, but sometimes she has slapped (in the face), kicked, and often she pulls on her dc's ears or hair. She always feels horrible later, but says she doesn't know how to handle them. (Her kids are 7yo ds, 3.5yo dd, 14mo dd. It's mostly the 7yo w/ADHD she can't stand, but when the 3yo screams or the 14mo is fussy, she doesn't know what to do & goes crazy. :banghead

Please don't tell me to stop being her friend. She has many issues that I face too, that I have nobody else to talk to about, and she has helped me a great deal.
She is losing hope and struggling with depression, among other things. She just can't "get a grip." She is on meds and stuff, she just really needs a friend. I don't mind being her friend, I see her changing slightly, but how can I rub off on her more? how can I get her to see that there are gentler ways to do things?

Slaping kids on the face or swearing at family memebers shows more than just a punive mindset - it shows your freind needs help. IF she is on meds, she is aware of that, but apparently they are not working. I understand the frustration beduse I have anxiet atacks. If she is a GOOD freind I would suggest she look into changing her diet too and learing coping machanisms.

YOu don't have to not be her friend, but realize in this one you will be doing all the giving and for the time being she wont have much to offfer you in return.

I am new to this so I wont give any other advice. I'd be glad to see what others say.

ChristmasGirl
04-02-2005, 02:18 AM
Wow! What a position that God has put you in to love and uplift your friend. :heart I will pray that you get a revelation of what to do to reach out to her in a way that she will welcome. :pray

MarynMunchkins
04-02-2005, 08:12 AM
While I only had two kids, I was in the same position for the first two years of Ana's life. I was severely depressed, overwhelmed, and had no support or encouragement. :cry

Be there. Offer help as often as you can, and keep showing her a better way. Introduce her to here - message boards were literally my saving grace. Having that support and understanding can make or break the difference in coping. :)

This Busy Mom
04-02-2005, 08:43 AM
I was your friend when I first had kids, too. How embarassing to admit that. I wanted to be a good mom but didn't know "how" to be. I prayed for your friend as I don't know how to get through to someone in a reactive frame of mind, and truthfully I'd have a hard time extending grace to the old me if I had to meet her face to face... or maybe I could validate the feelings she's having and tell her that her getting angry at her
.kids is a cue that something needs to change in that area. Maybe the book Good and Angry would help her?? and Playful Parenting.