PDA

View Full Version : High Humitity verses Low Humitity

waremock
04-01-2005, 11:58 AM
I was just cleaning my fridge and took notice on the crispers at the bottom where I keep my potatoes/veggies fruit etc.. that one drawer says High Humitity and the other says Low Humitity. Does anyone know what exactly the difference is ...and how could there be any difference..they are both in the same temp? :shrug At the moment, I have the potatoes in the low and the salad makings in the high? Does anyone know which drawer should be holding each veggie/fruit for freashness? TIA if someone does know. ~Michelle

expatmom
04-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Sounds good to me! Humidity in laymans terms is the amount of water in the air. I definitely wouldn't want my potatoes in high humidity. Someone could prove me wrong, but I think veggies would stay crisper in a high humidity environment.

Gretchen
04-02-2005, 12:15 PM
My refrigerator says high humidity for vegetables and low for fruits, but I agree that I wouldn't want potatoes in high humidity. I never store mine in the refrigerator anyhow? :shrug

I misread the subject line and thought it said Humility, and was trying to figure out what varying degrees of humility had to do with housekeeping. :mrgreen

Gretchen

ArmsOfLove
04-02-2005, 12:20 PM
:lol I did the same thing, Gretchen. I was thinking it was going to be a deep discussion about servanthood versus low self esteem :)

As for the actual question--I love it when fridges have little pictures of what kind of stuff goes in each drawer. I also think they achieve different humidities by sealing what amount of air gets in????

raquel
09-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Hey I actually know a little bit about this! :) Only because of Tupperware though.

All fruits and veggies "sweat" to some degreee. This means they emit moisture. Some emit lots of moisture and some only emit teeny tiny amounts. Tupperware and fridge makers know this so try to accomodate a bit.

Produce that sweats a lot should be kept in a place that will allow moisture to escape and not sit on the produce and cause rotting. Ever notice that brocolli that's kept in a plastic bag will have loads of water in the bag and feels 'soggy' if left for too long whilst carrots in a plastic bag don't have any water/condensation?

My guess on your fridge is that the high humidity crisper is for keeping those fruits/vegs in that emit small amounts of water whilst low humidity is for veggies that emit a lot of moisture. But that's my guess.

Tupperware sell containers that allow you to control the amount of air that gets into the container and they are fantastic! Hey can you look online for your fridges manual? That might tell you exactly what they mean by the labels on the crisper.

Hope that answers your question a little.

Heather Micaela
09-21-2005, 01:48 AM
:lol I did the same thing, Gretchen. I was thinking it was going to be a deep discussion about servanthood versus low self esteem :)

As for the actual question--I love it when fridges have little pictures of what kind of stuff goes in each drawer. I also think they achieve different humidities by sealing what amount of air gets in????

:giggle
are you a visual learner like me?