PDA

View Full Version : relieving a 6mo stuffy nose

catholicapmom
04-01-2005, 08:40 AM
Is there anything I can do for Bethany's stuffy nose other than saline drops? I hate using a nasal aspirator or whatever they're called because I worry about germs and hurting her nose. Plus, it's a huge fight. :td I'm going to go take a shower now and have her sitting in the bathroom with me. Maybe the steam will help. Can I use something like Vicks Vaporub or is that too strong for her? :think Poor baby is :hissyfit and can't really eat.

phermion
04-01-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm so sorry that your wee one is sick. That's so miserable. I finally had to break down and use the snot sucker. :sick I make sure it is clean - I clean it out a lot with hot soapy water - it might be able to be boiled, tho I haven't tried that. The only way I could use it on her without hurting her since she would struggle so much is like this: I sit on the bed with my legs straight out in front of me. I put Punkin'bo down on the bed in front of me between my legs - her head as close to me as possible with her legs pointing away like mine are. I put her little arms under my legs to restrain them (no weight on her), and carefully bend one leg over her legs (again, no weight on her) to keep them down as well. Then I have both hands to make sure that her face isn't moving and I can gently suck that nasty stuff out. It sounds harsh, I know, but it really helped. I find that this way I can get in just a couple of very effective suctions and we don't have to struggle for a long time and she doesn't get hurt. I started that when she was about 5 months(?) and now we make it a game since she is 18 mths. I count three and we do a quick suction - usually takes two suctions on each side unless I've let it go too long. I know this isn't what you were looking for, but I can't think of anything else besides steam and eucalyptus or steam and strong mint? ANd since I've never used those, I don't know if you can or if it would help...

cobluegirl
04-01-2005, 01:56 PM
You could try using breast milk in the nose? there really isn't anything you can use but the snot sucker or some time of nose drops. Little noses makes a decongestant drop...but it can be addictive....

ArmsOfLove
04-01-2005, 07:07 PM
I bought some Nelson's Sinus homeopathic remedies for all of my children and they are working well so far (even though they just got their first dosage). I can her the difference in the babes already.

cobluegirl
04-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Thats good to know Crystal. THanks for sharing.