PDA

View Full Version : Sharing the good news about Attachment Parenting

AttachedMamma
04-01-2005, 07:14 AM
Ok, we all know we aren't supposed to debate/defend our parenting styles. Some of us blow it (read my post "Question about Comfort Corner") :blush

So, when you let the cat out of the bag about your opposing parenting style (you think that leaving a child in a room to scream until they throw up is wrong), how do you share the good news? Here you feel in your heart that this is not God's way at all and that they are not being Jesus to their child, and you so badly want them to know that there is another way (just like your heart aches for others to know about the gift of salvation). You feel so passionate about this. You feel it isn't just a different opinion. How do you handle it? Perhaps no one has ever told them there are alternatives to spanking, cio, TO, etc. B/C the masses are doing it, they have never ever considered questioning that form of discipline. Maybe you're their only hope in learning about AP before their child leaves those early, formative years. :(

Please don't bash me, but honestly, I think it's almost harder for me to watch a parent do punitive things to their child than to know they are not accepting the gift of salvation. B/c it is happening right there in front of me (it is more tangible) and 2 people are being hurt...an innocent child is being harmed...

It is so hard for me to keep it all inside. I want to evangelize about AP, but I think I need a lot of work on my approach and emotions. I need the Holy Spirit to do this for me! :pray

How do you handle this?

MarynMunchkins
04-01-2005, 08:42 AM
Well, I think it's well known that I have a big mouth. ;) :P In most cases, thought, I choose to let my actions speak.

I make no apologies for my parenting, and I will proudly tell people that Colin nurses, co-sleeps, and that we don't spank if they ask. If we are having a discussion about parenting, I will share my views and opinions. Thankfully, I tend to be one of the most experienced moms in my group, and my ideas are almost always respected. And I don't mind (too much) if they aren't. I have a thick skin, and don't mind debating a little. :)

For the most part though, I just parent the way I usually would. I offer help when people seem overwhelmed, and suggestions when they are looking for a solution. It's a much longer approach - I don't think I've converted anyone (including dh :rolleyes) to 100% non-punitive parenting. But I know that I've showed several some non-punitive tools to use, and helped them think a little harder about how they treat their children.

Where I'm going from here is still up in the air. :/ But I do know that it's unlikely that the people I associate with will be in the dark on where I stand when it comes to children. :D

erinee
04-01-2005, 08:49 AM
I practice "lifestyle evangelism," both with my faith and with my parenting. ;)

ArmsOfLove
04-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Yes--I share my stories too an don't hide them because I know I'm doing different stuff. I can't help but share GBD when I talk about parenting--it's what we do. I also will ask if people want information. If they're complaining about a baby sleeping or about how hard cio is on them I might say, "I've also had sleep troubles with my kids but we never did cio--would you like to hear more about what we did?" They'll let you know if they are interested ;)

Radosny Matka
04-01-2005, 03:02 PM
If I think the person is going to be receptive, I will say something. I actually try to give more info. to friends and family who are ttc'ing or thinking about starting a family. I have a cousin who will be ttc'ing soon, and I'm sending her a bunch of info. :D

Heather Micaela
04-02-2005, 01:49 AM
One of the best tools of evangelism is our personal testimony. The same would be true for AP. I can tell people my beforeandafter AP story as a matter of just having a conversation. If they ask questions then I will tell them more.