PDA

View Full Version : Need info on teaching 7 yr. old German

mykidsmom
03-31-2005, 10:21 PM
If you know of any good resources to help teach my seven yr. old German (probably for next school year) it would would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS No Muzzy, I really don't like Muzzy. :lol

Chris3jam
04-01-2005, 07:21 AM
Fun ones we have are the "Learn in Your Car" language tapes. You can, of course, play the CD and tapes elsewhere. They come with a little workbook and stuff. They are geared for 7-12 yos. If you really want to get into it, there's "Power Glide". I think those are for older children.

findingjoy
04-01-2005, 08:23 AM
I have used Power Glide Latin with our preschooler. I have to do it with him because he can't read, but it's pretty fun. He actually picks up quite a bit when we listen to it. We haven't done it consistently though. Your son could do it a little more independently since he is older. I think the version that is for younger kids that we have is called Power Glide Jr. I believe there is a German version. We started our son before the age it's really designed for, but he still enjoyed it. It includes audio cds, a student book with some activities and pages to color as they listen along and a parent guide. On ours the narrator is telling a story about a small group of children on an adventure. Your child is supposed to be one of the members of the group and follow along as they are learning a new language. I thought it was a neat concept for young children. The narrator also tells stories where he weaves in more and more words from the language you are learning. :)

Larissa
04-01-2005, 07:21 PM
I was also going to suggest the Powerglide German. They have an elementary version...as well as middle and high school.

I am teaching my son German as well. Right now he is still young..he'll be 3 in May, but I have taught him how to count to 20, and I just ordered a couple of story books that are German as well as picture books with German words.

You can get the Powerglide curriculum from Alpha and Omega homeschool curriculum.