PDA

View Full Version : Very dissapointed

gracieannsmom
03-31-2005, 08:57 PM
I can't believe what I witnessed today. On our base we had this wonderful conference called Thrive for women who's husbands are deployed. The whole day was filled with great info and I learned a lot and was feeling refreshed until.....we broke out into smaller sessions in the afternoon. I joined the session for parents with kids 0-10 years old since I have an 18 month old dd. The session started great, I was actually learning some ideas about how to stop and listen to my daughter so I don't fly off the handle, etc. THEN, one women raised her hand and mentioned how her son who is 8 months old is getting to the point where he thinks he runs the house, that if he cries she'll come running and she claimed it "had to stop" that he was "controlling" her :shifty The other women were all nodding and agreeing and I was fuming. Then another woman piped in regarding her 5 month old and how he too does that and how you need to "start traning them early" so they will know that they can't have everything they want right away, or even at all. The woman running the session added that when she first became a mom she wondered how people could be so cruel as to let a baby CIO until she realized how manipulative babies are and how controlling they are of us and then she decided those cruel people were right :eek :banghead
I had to hold my tongue but I was fuming and ready to burst. I almost walked out but I couldn't get through the crowd of women all around me without making a scene. It was insane and here there were about 20 vulnerable women, three who were pregnant and this was the kind of advice being given? I wanted to chime in but I was too shy and I knew I would just burst and fly off the handle and cause a fight. I wish I could have thought of a diplomatic way to say something.
It gets even better too...after that someone else mentioned how important it is to be on a schedule every day starting from birth so kids will know exactly what to expect. They made their homes sound like boot camp if you ask me. There is nothing wrong with a routine but a rigid schedule? All the women seemed to agree but me. I was just so angry about it.
Thanks for hearing me out!

Marzipan
03-31-2005, 09:10 PM
Ooooh. How sad and frusturating. :(

MarynMunchkins
03-31-2005, 09:53 PM
:wow I honestly feel sorry for both the women and their children. :( You should speak up - many woman have no idea there is an alternative to what is being voiced.

gracieannsmom
03-31-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm actually quite sad that I didn't have the guts to say something. I always chicken out and I need to stop that. :(

MarynMunchkins
04-01-2005, 11:38 AM
You'd be surprised how many woman are open to a gentler style of parenting. They are never the vocal ones, but they are often in the majority. :hug But I still get butterflies whenever I open my mouth too. ;)

CelticJourney
04-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Is this offered by Soldier Support for the Army (or whatever branch) or is this an outside organization coming in?

gracieannsmom
04-02-2005, 08:28 PM
It was actually put on by PWOC (Protestant Women of the Chapel) and the entire program was wonderful until the breakout session began. The woman who "taught" the breakout was an army spouse who has five kids. I believe she said she worked for a school but I'm not positive. I have no idea what her qualifications were to "teach" this class and all I was hoping to get out of it was some ideas on coping with having to play the role of both mommy and daddy...but it got out of hand and we never got to discussing that. Ugh!

ArmsOfLove
04-02-2005, 08:41 PM
who sponsored this? If it wasn't the Family Advocacy Group I'd report this woman to them! I spent last Saturday at a table next to the Family Advocacry Group for Luke AFB and the head of the dept and I talked a lot and he was :tu about everything I was saying. I read through all the stuff I got at the hospital and it was the opposite of what you are saying :eek :(