PDA

View Full Version : Desert Gardening...

academy252
03-31-2005, 06:56 PM
My hubby and I lived in Kansas a few years ago and I grew a full garden outside my kitchen and we feasted off the produce all summer. It was magnificent! :mrgreen Since we have moved to the desert southwest I have really struggled with gardening. :shrug I am going to be adding something called "super soil" to the garden plot this year in hopes of changing the output.

Does anyone have any tips that they might want to share on gardening in the desert? :think I want to plant both herbs and veggies. I have not ruled out potting them in large clay pots on the porch but would really love a plot that I can spread them out in. I also want more tomatoes so that I can do some canning and freezing this year. I do have a peach tree and an apricot tree, too. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :hug

~Leann

tempus vernum
04-01-2005, 06:03 AM
While I lived in the desert, I never gardened there but I found a few links for you :)
http://cals.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/library/ref-grdn.htm
http://cals.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/pubs/dsrtgdn.htm

Desert Rose
04-07-2005, 11:35 PM
I don't know where you are. I am in AZ. But TBH, I have always been able to grow anything here and I never use anything but the dirt that's already here and then I fertilize with miracle grow. :shrug
HTH!

academy252
04-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks so much for responding ladies! I enjoyed those links and they were helpful. I will also have to give the Miracle Gro a shot, too. Thanks again! :)

asher
05-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Hi Leann,

We're in El Paso & it's really hard to get things to grow in the ground. My mom's in Albuquerque & she's got an oasis up there :D She uses Miracle Gro & compost & it works wonders for her. She waters, a lot, though, so I don't know. I know a lot of squash-like stuff works well here & container gardening works really well for me. HTH.

Tina

academy252
05-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Hey Tina,

I am in El Paso, too. How cool is that!!! I find that squash is good as is tomatoes and chilis and bell peppers. A few years ago we planted bell peppers too close to the jalapenos and the bell pepper were spicy, too. They were cross pollenated and it was hilarious to discover that had happened. Blessings to you and thanks for responding to my questions. I have decided to plant in large pots this year until I can build up a plot for next summer.

~Leann

asher
05-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Leann~

What a blessing to have someone close! Best of luck to your gardening & the creating of new veggies in your garden ;D My mom swears it took like 5 years to get her garden going well, but I wouldn't know firsthand. I think the large pots are a good way to go until you can get some good stuff in the ground. WATCH THE WEALTH OF ROCKS YOU'LL HARVEST :lol

You seem pretty busy, but anytime you'd like to meet up @ a park or something, I'd love to.

Tina