PDA

View Full Version : Need Veggieburger suggestions please

puffballpopple
03-31-2005, 05:29 PM

Mom2_BusyBoys
03-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Have you tried the Gardenburger brand? There's lots of varieties and they aren't like meat at all. Costco sells them by the case, and grocery stores have a variety of types. Last night we had the sundried tomato/pesto flavor which was great!

-Mom2_BusyBoys

PurpleButterfly
03-31-2005, 06:52 PM
Yes, Gardenburger makes a "roasted veggie" burger and also a black bean burger, I believe, that are very veggie-licious! :yum

Punkie
04-01-2005, 08:30 AM
I like all of the black bean burgers. Amy's has some that don't taste too meaty either. I also make my own with a recipe that uses nuts, oats, and a bunch of other yummy stuff, because I try not to overeat soy :)

Katherine
04-01-2005, 10:21 AM
I made some this week out of the left-over stuff in my fridge:

Indian-style rice
mashed up white beans
chopped green and yellow peppers
chopped onion
chopped black olives
chopped up spinach leaves
handful of flour
salsa
sauce (soy or Worstershire.. can't remember)
squeezed lemon juice ? I think

They turned out pretty darn good, and I didn't have buns so I served them on greens with sliced avacado and diced tomatoes on top.

RealLifeMama
04-01-2005, 10:31 AM
I think Jodi (SonshineMama) posted a good veggie birger mix on the old board.
Maybe she can post it?

Gardenburger original don't taste like meat to me.

I will see if I can find SonshineMama's recipe though,
It is easy and you can keep it around,
I wanted to make them sometime soon anyway.

RealLifeMama
04-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Here is a copy of the post from the old board.
SonshineMama, I hope you don't mind my posting it!

Veggie Burgers (EXTREMELY EASY - dry mix)
------------------------------------------
1/2 C Garbanzo beans
1/2 C soybeans
1/2 C lentils
1/2 Yellow split peas
1/2 C instant brown rice
1/2 C rolled oats
1 pkg dry soup mix or salad dressing mix
1/4 C bread crumbs
1/4 C Cornmeal
1 1/2 t baking soda

Grind all ingredients together in blender or food processor (we used our coffee bean grinder ) Store in sealed bags. To use: mix 1 C veggie burger mix, 2/3 C Liquid (broth, BBQ sauce, water, wine, etc.). Mix well, set aside for 12-15 minutes. Shape into burgers and cook on stove or grill.

Makes about 8 burgers.

"We used bbq sauce and a soup mix. It was REALLY yummy - even non-vegetarian hubby loved it - he said we could use it for meatloaf and meatballs too. Plus it is soooooooooo easy.

Jodi suggests keeping the mix in the freezer in a freezer container.

She says that you can use your own seasonings (soup mix or salad dressing mix). Here is a recipe that she shared as a suggestion...

Chili Seasoning Mix

1 tablespoon unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons instant minced onion
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon instant minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Combine all ingredients in a ziploc bag, seal, & shake well. Store in am airtight container in a cool, dry place and use within 6 months. Recipe makes 1 package (1/4 c.)

I would imagine a total of about 3-6 T seasonings would be sufficient. I personally am planning on making my own seasonings the next time using that amount. I will vary the amount based on the strength of the herb. If I used cayenne (yummy!), I would only usde 2 T."

These are pretty good. I even have made "meatballs" out of them, using spaghetti sauce seasoning.

puffballpopple
04-02-2005, 08:56 AM