PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have and use a rice cooker?

cannuke
03-31-2005, 03:56 PM
I can't cook rice in a pot to save my life! :shrug

Someone suggested that I get a rice cooker because I really like brown rice, but that's even trickier to cook. Does anyone have a rice cooker and do you find it easy to use?

Marzipan
03-31-2005, 04:02 PM
I have a cheapo rival rice cooker, and I like it. You use the same ratio of rice to water as you would stovetop, and it turns out lovely rice. And keeps it warm too. My only gripe is that there's always a crusty layer on the bottom, which is a pain to get out...unless you soak for awhile. And you can't put the pieces of mine in the dishwasher. And the hole in the lid spews a lot of starchy water around the pot (which can be contained if you drape a dishtowel loosely over it.) But, the rice is good, and it's a cinch. You can't ruin rice in it.

Stonebeck Farm
03-31-2005, 04:05 PM
I love my rice cooker. :cool I just used it for dinner tonight for my brown rice. I have used a rice cooker for 16 years. It is super easy to use. For dinner I added 2 cups of brown rice 4 cups of water and turned it on at 4:10. At 5, I had yummy, perfect rice. :mrgreen

Brown takes longer, I usually allow 50 minutes- white only takes about 20 minutes- but either kind is so, so easy. :dance.

edited becasue I realized i used it for 16 years not 13! wow, time really flies.

tree_hugger
03-31-2005, 04:06 PM
I use my microwave to cook rice. It always turns out fluffly and nice.

I also cannot cook rice on the stove top. :O

Mamaka
03-31-2005, 06:11 PM
I'm a stove-top rice cookin' failure as well. ;)

I've used a rice cooker for years and really like. The one I have now is ok, it does great for white rice but not as well for brown rice. The old rice cooker I had was just a cheapo rival and it was fantastic. So I think it pays to shop around, maybe check some reviews before buying one, esp if you'll be cooking brown rice or all different kinds of rice.

HTH :)

OnlyBelieve
03-31-2005, 07:46 PM
I have one that I adore. i used to cook rice on top of the stove pretty well....never again!! I have a Zojirushi - great brand!!

phermion
03-31-2005, 08:42 PM
I have one that I adore. i used to cook rice on top of the stove pretty well....never again!! I have a Zojirushi - great brand!!

i have one of these as well!! but I could never cook rice before i had one. :blush We used to live in a predominantly Korean community and served in a Korean church - we had to have rice!! And since my 2 oldest ate it before anything else and still prefer it - the cooker is a necessity at our house! :blush :D I highly recommend one. :tu

Hannah Jo
04-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Rice cookers rock.

In Korea the rule of thumb for white rice is to put the uncooked rice in first, then lay your hand flat on top of it and pour water in until your hand is covered. Put in a little more for brown rice. We like to throw in some dried beans as well.

It might depend on the machine, but I only get that crusty bottom layer if I take the rice out too soon. If I let it sit for a few more minutes the texture is better.

Rice cookers keep other stuff warm, too, like soups or sweet potatoes, and reheat things nicely.

Kaz
04-01-2005, 12:41 AM
Another person who doesn't know how to cook rice here. :doh

Dh and I had a bit of an argument about our rice cooker, bought for us by my Dad. Dh was convinced it was a gimmick , just taking up space on the bench. But now he's converted.

We just have a cheap rice cooker, but I also read that the Zojirushi is a good one (recommended by Nigella Lawson). Apparently it keeps the rice ready to eat all day after its cooked, which is how most Koreans seemed to do it when I lived there.

boonpnutsmom
04-01-2005, 12:59 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001J2NS2/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/002-9432365-7409603

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001J2NS2.01-A3S21M36A693V4._PE19_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is the one that we have. We go through 20lb bag of rice every couple of weeks, so we use it daily. Rice is a staple in Hawaii. I think one of the first things you learn growing up in Hawaii is how to make rice.

2sunshines
04-01-2005, 07:25 AM
Yep, we have a rice cooker too!

I have no clue how to cook rice on a stove top. :blush

Rice cookers are so easy -- just dump in rice and water and press the button -- my kind of cooking... :mrgreen

jujubnme
04-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Another happy rice cooker user here! Dh brought ours into our marriage (I didn't cook rice that much before) and we use it all the time. I just throw in the rice and water at the beginning of my dinner prep, and then don't have to worry about it till we eat. Gotta love that!

cannuke
04-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Thanks ladies! :highfive It has become a standing joke in our house how neither DH nor I can cook rice, so I think that we've found our solution!

Sold!

cannuke
04-01-2005, 07:41 PM
So I bought the Rival rice cooker. It's amazing! I can't believe how much rice I wasted thinking that a rice cooker is just another kitchen toy that I didn't need! And it's so smart and knows just when to turn off! I made the yummiest basmati rice for supper.

Thanks so much for the advice. Now I'll have to play and some up with fabulous rice recipes!