PDA

View Full Version : eggs and recipes

Irene
03-31-2005, 02:10 PM
do you just skip the recipes that call for splitting eggs etc? I keep coming across recipes that sound SOOOO yummy but they always have "beat the egg white" etc. We arent vegan, but allergic to eggs. I usually use egg replacer in things that just call for eggs. I am trying to make some different things today... not having much luck :/

Irene
03-31-2005, 02:20 PM
oh, these gf sponge cakes look so gooooooooood :yum can you tell Im in a baking mood... or, more like a eating sugar kinda mood :O :blush

julbug
03-31-2005, 11:03 PM
from VRG.org:

As a binder, substitute for each egg:

1/4 cup (2 ounces) soft tofu blended with the liquid ingredients of the recipe, or
1 small banana, mashed, or
1/4 cup applesauce, or
2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot starch, or Ener-G Egg Replacer or another commercial mix found in health food stores.

I'm not sure how that would play out if a recipe is specifically calling for beaten egg white and such. What I would do is experiment a little. If you're worried about something not turning out well, halve the recipe so it's not too wasteful if you don't like the results. But play around to see what works for which recipe, adapt them and rewrite as needed.

Now I never have done merangue vegan, I can't think of how to do this. I don't know if that's the type of recipe you're looking at. If anybody has done this, or knows how let me know.

Punkie
04-01-2005, 08:09 AM
I've used banana and applesauce, but that's it :)

Irene
04-02-2005, 09:57 PM
but have you used them in recipes that call for beating eggs?

ArmsOfLove
04-02-2005, 10:20 PM
If you look on the Egg Replacer box it shows the measurements for parts of eggs. I usually just do a whole egg no matter what and add a little less water :)

Irene
04-02-2005, 10:44 PM
oh okay thanks... I usually just dump it all in a canister and throw away the box :blush