PDA

View Full Version : Need advice. . . history

lumpofclay
03-31-2005, 12:57 PM
I do like the "classical" homeschooling approach. I definitely want to teach history chronologically. I'm leaning more towards an unschooling approach as well. We're (DH & I) doing a lot of talking about how to integrate everything we think and feel about how our homeschool should work.

Right now, we're using the Greenleaf Press Guide to Old Testament History. We're in Numbers, so we're only about 1/4 of the way through the book. The girls do enjoy listening to the Bible and talking about what we've read. It feels dry to me, some days. I'd like some other things to bring into our "history" studies to really make them come alive for them (and me!). Any books or curriculum you'd recommend?

I've tried a "history/Bible" notebook. I let them draw pictures of what we talked about. However, this would take an hour just to do history! By the time we read the story/chapter, talked about it, and journaled, an hour had passed. Chandler works very slowly. (A side note: This is something that aggravates me, but I'm working on it. I am almost always quiet and let her work at her pace. I do get frustrated, though, and I'm sure that comes out. It's something I'm working on, but I would like to see her speed it up sometimes, especially when we have other things to do which require leaving the house and nothing else gets done.)

ArmsOfLove
03-31-2005, 01:08 PM
This is why I like Story of the World. We are going to finally finish it this year--I've determined ;) There are little bits of reading and we've done narration and questions, and there is an activity packet with different ideas if you want to develop them more. My kids really love it.

lumpofclay
03-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Doesn't Story of the World have evolution in it? If so, (if I'm recalling correctly), how do you leave that out? Or do you just discuss that others have different views? I also remember being concerned about the complexity of the book, as far as having information about so many different cultures. Do you find that overwhelming? Did it seem like a little bit of info about lots of different cultures? Or did it seem like it really helped everything fit together well?

I hated history in school Funny that I married a history major. :hearts I actually like history a whole lot more now becuase I'm starting to understand it. In school, it just seemed like a bunch of facts that made no sense to me because I didn't understand the big picture! I think that's one reason teaching history chronologically appeals so much to me. I just want to make history lessons more fun. (w/o them being more work!) :P

ArmsOfLove
03-31-2005, 01:38 PM
Oh, no, this is a Christian curriculum from Susan Wise Bauer. It starts with the Nomads and goes through to the medieval period (the virst volume--"Ancient Times". It talks about all of the cultures of teh Ancient world :)

Mothering by Heart
03-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Doesn't Story of the World have evolution in it?

maybe you're thinking of History of the World by Hillyer? :shrug

I have to second Story of the World. We love it. The kids love the activities. I think it's great :tu