PDA

View Full Version : stomach virus and diaper rash

toymama
03-31-2005, 11:48 AM
There is a horrible stomach virus going around and Andrew has finally gotten it. :cry Austin and I had it about two weeks ago and we are just getting over it. Andrew has diareha(sp wrong, I know). He has at least 4-5 bm a day and 1-2 in the middle of the night. He has been doing this since Sat. I called his doc and they said put him on the BRAT diet and give him pedialite. I had already started that but the problem is that he won't eat the stuff I have tried to give him and he won't drink the pedilite because he wants milk. I have been holding off on the milk and finally he will drink the pedilite. But I am wondering if I should just give him milk so I know he is getting more fluids. The only think I have been able to get him to eat is bananas. Should I let him drink or eat whatever he wants so he is getting something down him or do I keep pushing the pedilite and the Brat diet?
Another thing is he has a horrible diaper rash. He screams everytime he pees or poops and he runs when I have to change him. I try to leave his diaper off so he can air dry, but with diarehha I can't do that for long. :/ At home I put him in the bath tub with baking soda every time he needs a diaper change and at daycare they have quit using baby wipes and use paper towels on him. We have been using Desitin on him and his bottom is still so raw looking. :cry Is there something else I can use that will work better or is it just a matter of waiting for him to get over the stomach virus. :shrug I don't know if we can take another week of this. I feel so sorry for him. The other night he was screaming "mama, mama" and I finally reliazed he had peed and his bottom was burning. This is horrible!! :bheart

cobluegirl
03-31-2005, 11:20 PM
I am sorry your babe is sick. That is horrible. I guess I would try the milk and see if he can keep it down. It is something he normally drinks right? Do you have any calendula cream? that might be good for his little bum.

milkmommy
03-31-2005, 11:37 PM
best treatment Ive seen for acid rashes (DD gets terrible ones when teething) mix some aquaphor (or lanolin) with maylox and use as a diaper cream. I'll seen drastic improvments with this. Breastmilk also helps. Another thing I liked was when cleaning baby I'd soack a VERY soft rag in burts bees oil and clean bum this way then let totally air dry. This helped keep friction limited. After bottom was 100% dry I'd do the rash treatment do a thick layer. If the daycare needs a simpilar treatment I like WELDA diaper care. I wouldn't allow then to use paper towels thats way too abbrassive, even klenex is better.

Deanna

toymama
04-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Were do I get lanolin or candula cream? What is WELDA diaper care? His rash was worse last night so I gave him a baking soda bath and then let him sleep for over an hour without a diaper on. That helped until he had a diareha diaper this morning, then it was bright red again :banghead I had to buy cheaper diapers this week and I think that is helping the rash. I can't affored his Pampers right now, so I don't know what to do about that. To top all this off, when I picked him up at daycare yesterday he had what looked like scratches all over his left arm. I checked them closer when I got home and it also looks like some type of rash. I have no idea what that is :/ I am so angry right now because I know if I were at home with him I could let him run around without a diaper and focus completely on healing his bottom. I know the daycare can't do that, even though I think they are just as worried about it as I am. With all three of us being sick I would have had to take off work for over two weeks. There is no way we could have afforded that. :cry :cry

milkmommy
04-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Lanolin you should be able t get in a groccery store its kinda pricy though. Weleda is a diaper cream do you have a natrual foods store? they uually carry it. Try the maylox I swear it really does make a huge deal.

Deanna

Happy Mom
04-01-2005, 03:01 PM
sounds like the same virus in our house. I'm just praying it stops at Trinity (who is currently laid up in bed with it!) Poor Piper has a diaper rash too! She is just now getting over this thing, but the diarreah is hangin around a bit (not as frequently as your ds's ) thus the diaper rash wont go either! Its just the worst to watch them go through this!

Sounds like you got some good advice here..I did too! :hug

toymama
04-01-2005, 03:19 PM
This stomach virus has been the worst. The diarreah stays forever. I am expecting another week of it with Andrew because Austin and I had it for 2 weeks. :cry The daycare called today and the director thinks the rash on his arm in ringworm. So I asked for an advance today at work and I am going to get medicine for that. I am also going to try to lanolin and malox. And I am going to buy some Pampers so I can get him out of the other diapers. I am glad this is the weekend. I know he will be so much more comfortable at home. :tu Thanks for the advice!

Gretchen
04-01-2005, 09:36 PM
:hug

You might want to try some acidophilus for him (just mix it with his milk or whatever he will drink). That will probably help somewhat with the diarrhea and may help fight off the infection as well. Hope he feels better soon!

Gretchen

toymama
04-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone again. He is doing so much better. :tu I tried the lanolin and the malox and it worked great! The diarehha(sp?) is gone and he was in such a better mood this weekend. :highfive

milkmommy
04-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone again. He is doing so much better. :tu I tried the lanolin and the malox and it worked great! The diarehha(sp?) is gone and he was in such a better mood this weekend. :highfive

:dance :thumbsup

Deanna