PDA

View Full Version : Need Whole Chicken ideas

RealLifeMama
03-31-2005, 11:23 AM
I have a few fryers on hand I need to cook.
I already made one this week so I need something new.

I usually just baste it with olice oil and season w/ dalt and pepper, garlic, rosemary and lemon
I need something else to do for tonights chicken though.
Any ideas?

kris10s
03-31-2005, 11:25 AM
Boil and use the meat to make chicken divan.
Boil and make homemade chicken noodle soup.

We eat them roasted usually, too!

Thia
03-31-2005, 11:52 AM
cook and use meat in stir fry or with pasta
cook and shred and make bbq sandwiches
cook and shred to freeze in smaller portions, use as tuna for sandwiches
fajitas
pot pie
cut roaster into pieces and grill

Tamara
03-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Do you have any crock pot whole chicken recipes? I have two to cook, but I've kept them frozen b/c I don't know what to do with them. TIA!

Thia
03-31-2005, 12:01 PM
Crock Pot: Clean your bird up as you normally would. Rub with any spices you like. I like to get some between the skin and the meat too. You could put it in just like that or...take some toothpicks and pin whatever to the bird....garlic cloves, lemon slices, onions...go crazy. Some poeple like to put 1/2-1cup of water or chicken broth in, I find if I leave the lid closed tight all day, it doesn't dry out. .Leave on low 8-10 hours.
You could also tuck some potatoes, carrots etc around it so that you'd have a full meal!

jengi33
03-31-2005, 06:23 PM
We just got finished eating chicken in the crockpot for supper. Made mashed potatoes and gravy. One of my most favorite meals! Just throw the frozen chicken in, add a little water, salt and pepper and cook! MMMMMM!

MarynMunchkins
03-31-2005, 06:31 PM
I usually throw the bird in frozen, and sprinkle the top with garlic, sage, and paprika. :yum

BBQ sauce is great too. :) Just pour it on top of the bird and cook until delicious.

Tamara
04-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Put it in frozen? I don't have to thaw first? Cool. :cool

So just cook it with a little water, season however I want, and then put the meat into something else? Are there gonna be gizzards and stuff inside the chicken like there are in turkeys? :sick Do I cook with those? :eek

Aw, geez.. :blush I know how to cook, but I usually get chicken already butchered up and ready to go. Trying to transition to this whole foods thing is harder than it seems. :doh

I want to make a yummy chicken pot pie or chicken and dumplings. :yum Heck, I've got two chickens, so one of each!!!

MarynMunchkins
04-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Well, I think it tastes better if you cook it with the gizzards. :shrug But if you don't want to deal with them, you'll have to thaw them first and remove them. The next time you buy chicken, just remove the gizzards and than freeze them.

The extra water from the ice crystals melt and bastes the bird as it cooks. I don't add water or anything to it. :)

Tamara
04-01-2005, 04:34 PM
So, if I cook from frozen, leave in gizzards, what do I do with them after it's cooked? And from frozen, it's still only 10 hours on low in the crock pot?

jengi33
04-01-2005, 04:40 PM
I actually put mine in at noon yesterday on high for an hour or so, then low for 4 or 5 hrs. It was plenty done. I leave the gizzards in, then when DH is slicing up the meat, just get rid of that part.

After we have eaten what we want of the meat, I save the rest, cook the carcass in water, to get a broth, then in the next few days make homemade chicken noodle soup, with the meat, broth, carrots, celery and onion. Then throw in homemade noodles. YUMMMY!

Mamaka
04-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Our new fav is roasting it "standing up." I use an angel food cake pan insert in a pie plate and insert the chicken on that, dust w/papirika, s & P and then baste w/honey lemon juice mixture after 30 minutes & again at 45 minutes. Cook for about hour on 425

Also can do same thing but w/a beer or soda can half full of liquid of your choice (beer is pretty good but broth, water or even soda work well).

JJsMom
04-02-2005, 12:43 PM
These ideas sound so yummy! I'm excited to try the frozen chicken in the crockpot! I have a few frozen ones, but I hate to go through all the thawing and stuff so I haven't made them yet. I should have started one this morning, but I am just going to roast one in a 9x13 with wild rice. I jsut put some olive oil and seasoning on it, then put wild rice around it and add some water. My dh loves it. Then, I freeze the leftover wild rice and chicken and take it out and heat it with a little rice milk and a marg. and flour mixture and some spices. It's pretty good.