PDA

View Full Version : Recipes using ground beef

2sunshines
03-31-2005, 10:30 AM
We bought half a cow and therefore we have A LOT of beef, in particular A LOT of ground beef.

So I'm looking for some good recipes to give my family a little variety.

What's your favourite recipe to do with ground beef?

RealLifeMama
03-31-2005, 11:20 AM
Well, DH loves mealloaf. And meatballs. I usually make them at the same time and freeze them.

I usually make chili
tacos.
I do stroganoff type stuff,
just a meat/veggie type thing with onions, tomatoes, carrots, and other veggies I have on hand.
Southwestern rice (tomatoes, rice, green peppers, onion, seasoning)

Ummmm, salisbury steak over egg noodles is one of DH's favorite also.

Meat sauce for spaghetti
Goulash
Hamburger vegetable stew
Lasagne Bolognese
Chili macaroni
tater tot casserole
hamburgers since it is grilling season _hooray! My DH makes the best hamburgers!
Sloppy joes
that is all I can think of right now.

Let me know if any of these sound liek something you need a recipe for.

If you search on allrecipes, I bet they will have a ton!

2sunshines
04-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Thanks for all the ideas.

Could you give me the recipes for these:

Southwestern Rice
Salisbury steak over egg noodles
Chile macaroni

RealLifeMama
04-01-2005, 08:08 AM
Here you go!

Salisbury Steak

Serves: 4

1 lb. ground beef
1/3 c. dry bread crumbs
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 egg
1 large onion, sliced into rings
1 can beef broth
1 4oz. can sliced mushrooms
2 T. cold water
2 t. corn starch

Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and eggs. Shape into 4 oval patties, each about 3/4 inch thick. Cook patties in a large skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until browned- approximately 10 minutes. Drain fat. Add onion, broth and mushrooms to skillet w/ patties. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is done- approximately 10 minutes. Remove patties to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Heat onion mixture to boiling. Mix water and cornstarch and stir into onion mixture. Boil and stir for one minutes. Serve gravy over patties.

I don't use the mushrooms and use a little extra onion,

Chili Macaroni

I just saute some beef with some onions and green pepper. I add a can of tomatoes and chili powder like I am making chili but I add cooked macaroni. Sometimes I will use a box of macaroni and cheese.

The southwestern rice is the same but I use rice and no chli powder. I use a can of tomatoes with green chilis. I usually saute the rice first and add enough liquid (tomato sauce, water, tomato liquid) to cook it in the meat mixture.

HTH!

JessicaTX
04-01-2005, 09:05 AM
How do you make hamburgers for the grill? Everytime I try they break apart and we have to spread the remaining chunklets on our buns. Is there a tried and true method? The preformed patties stay together well, but they don't taste good =(

I've even tried making them and freezing them, the wax paper I used to seperate them tore and remained glued to the meat. I am a hamburger failure :hissyfit

RealLifeMama
04-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Well, I don't really know for sure because I have never tried to make them myself.
My DH makes them and they are sooooo good! I really dislike hamburgers unless he makes them. He totally has ruined me forever!

I watch him make them and he breaks the meat up into how many ever burgers and patties them. He tosses them back and forth between his hands a lot. Then he sprinkles stuff on them, puts wrap over top and pounds them a lot. Then he flips them over and sprinkles stuff on and does it again. Then he reshaped them if necessary. My guess is all the pounding helps them stay together.
It takes him forever. I am always like 'Aren't you done yet? Are you still doing that!????? "
He makes them all different sizes so I don't think the thickness has anything to do with it. I like mine thinner but bun size, , he likes a monster thickburger a little bigger than the large bun, and the kids get little flat ones, So my guess is the pounding and shaping.

He also tries to use fresh meat, and fresh buns too.
Yum! I am hungry now!

2sunshines
04-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Yep, the key to keeping hamburgers together is the squishing and the pounding... They really have to be formed really well and if done properly, can take a few minutes at least...

JJsMom
04-01-2005, 01:20 PM
For patties, I put the ground beef in a bowl, add some salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder and the secret ingredients-ketchup and A-1. Yummy! Then, I just freeze the in Ziploc freezer bags.

jengi33
04-01-2005, 04:45 PM
The higher the fat content in the hamburger, the better the patties stick together too. I have trouble with our really lean beef sometimes. Usually I prefer the leaner beef, but frankly, for grilling hamburgers the higher fat type is easier and tastes better.

Another quick, easy thing with hamburger is brown it, add chopped up cabbage and soy sauce, cook covered until done (maybe 15 min. or so). Serve with rice.

For something quick and unhealthy :blush
brown 1 lb. hamburger
add can of rotel tomatoes
add 1 lb. velveeta cheese and cook till melted.
Serve with tortilla chips!

expatmom
04-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Lazy cabbage rolls are a favourite at our house. All the ingredients of cabbage rolls without the time consuming preparation of the cabbage. I don't have a recipe near the computer, but I am sure if you check out www.allrecipes.com you will find a recipe there.

2sunshines
04-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Lazy cabbage rolls sound really good to me. I actually bought some cabbage to make cabbage rolls (the hard way) but haven't had time yet... :rolleyes

Is this sound like what you make?

http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/FlsCbbgRlls.asp

expatmom
04-04-2005, 04:36 AM
Mine was sort of like that, only baked.

This recipe is closer to mine: http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/CabbageRollCasserole.asp

Now you've got me hankering for these! I am going to have to make them this week!

2sunshines
04-04-2005, 08:15 AM
Hmmm, that recipe looks really good too.

I guess we know what both of our families are having sometime this week, eh?.... :mrgreen

Soliloquy
04-06-2005, 08:54 PM
I make this a lot whenever I can't think of anything else to make . . .

Super Six-Layer Casserole

In a 3 qt casserole, layer:

1 cup uncooked rice (brown in best)
1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
2 cups grated carrots

Mix 2 cups of tomato juice or V-8 with 1 Tbsp of Worcesertshire and 1 tsp of basil. Pour over top. Sprinkle with 1-2 cups of shredded chedder cheese. Bake, covered, at 350 for 45-60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Freezes and reheats well.

AmyDoll
04-14-2005, 09:24 PM
A favorite in our house is "Mama's Cheeseburger Surprise"

The surprise is - you can't mess it up and you can basically do whatever you want.

Line a pan (pie, cake, casserole dish, whatev) with refridgerator biscuits
Layer COOKED ground something (beef, turkey, chicken), tomato sauce (leftover spaghetti sauce), top with cheese of your choice

Cook for about 25 minutes at 350 or whatever the can of biscuits says - the biscuits need to be done and the cheese should be melted

Sometimes I add onions to the meat when I'm cooking it :)

Mother of Sons
04-14-2005, 09:57 PM
nt

2sunshines
04-15-2005, 05:12 AM
MOS -- how do you make your meatloaf different?

Thia
04-15-2005, 06:47 AM
what are porcupine balls and chopped up hamburg?

Mother of Sons
04-15-2005, 08:28 AM
nt

RealLifeMama
04-15-2005, 09:23 AM
That sounds pretty similar to my meatloaf, except for the cheese and I add spinach, and sometimes put the cheese in the middle if I am adding it. I've never tried potatoes on top! I bet that makes it look like cake, especially in the cupcake tins! What a great idea! I bet you could even out the mashed potatoes in a decorator bag and "ice" the meat cupcakes! Neat!
I have found that molding it in the loaf pan, and then taking it out and baking it on a sheet helps with the grease.

jujubnme
04-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Amydoll's recipe reminded me of something my mom used to make---really a variation of the same thing. We called them Bar-b-cups. She'd put the refrigerator biscuits in a muffin tin, each biscuit pressed to make a little pie crust, and then put ground beef cooked up like sloppy joe's in each one and sprinkled cheddar cheese on the top. Bake like Amydoll said. :yum

I'm not sure how family-friendly this will be (kinda spicy), but I just came across a recipe for Jamaican Jerk Burgers with Orange-Chipotle Mayonnaise (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107083?epiSearchPage=http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/find/results?search=jerk+hamburger&x=13&y=9) that I'm going to try this weekend.

Soliloquy
05-02-2005, 02:46 PM
A favorite in our house is "Mama's Cheeseburger Surprise"

The surprise is - you can't mess it up and you can basically do whatever you want.

Line a pan (pie, cake, casserole dish, whatev) with refridgerator biscuits
Layer COOKED ground something (beef, turkey, chicken), tomato sauce (leftover spaghetti sauce), top with cheese of your choice

Cook for about 25 minutes at 350 or whatever the can of biscuits says - the biscuits need to be done and the cheese should be melted

Sometimes I add onions to the meat when I'm cooking it :)

I'm so sick of everything I usually make and I'm kinda sick of cooking, so I'm going to try this tonight! I love having "fallback" recipes like this to make when I don't feel like cooking. Thx!

righteous mama
05-02-2005, 02:57 PM
We grill a lot and hamburgers on the grill must be higher fat content because the grill burns off the fat. If it's lean, they tend to dry out and not cook nicely. That was the very wonderful advice from the Whole Foods butcher. :)

We mainly do hamburgers, tacos, or spaghetti with ground beef.