PDA

View Full Version : Side Car Crib Solutions Needed

cannuke
03-30-2005, 04:39 PM
A co-worker of mine has her crib for sale (a good deal and in very good shape). I remember that there were some threads on the old board about how exactly to set up a crib beside the big bed, but I can't remember what those solutions were.

Our bed (top of mattress) is 26" from the floor. The crib has a setting that would put the crib mattress at 26.5", which would work. The only problem is that the crib rail that lowers only goes to 35" from the floor at the top of the rail. This would mean that there is a big 7-9" "wall" between me and baby, which really isn't the point!

Do you take the rail right off the crib? Is the crib still stable enough with one rail missing? I could always take the wheels off the crib, which would buy me about another 2".

I would appreciate any solutions! I liked the ideas in the recent thread about the gap between the bed and the crib, but this problem is a little different.

DogwoodMama
03-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Yes, we took the rail right off the crib. I can't speak for all cribs, but ours is just as stable as ever. I wouldn't take *both* sides off, but ours is fine with one side off. :)

Iarwain
03-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Some you can, some you can't. Most old (as in really old) cribs aren't designed to be stable enough without a side, but a lot of the newer ones are advertised as convertible to a toddler daybed. If it wasn't made to have a side be removable and your husband is handy he might be able to reinforce it by adding some cross-braces or something.

And for that extra half inch you could add some plywood underneath your bed to even up the height if you thought it'd be annoying

BlessedBlue
04-03-2005, 04:15 PM
We took the movable side off our crib, and it seems to work well. For stability, I got some twine and tied the crib to our bedframe. This also prevents the crib from wandering.

I put some towels between the crib mattress and the side to push the mattress closer to ours. We've been playing with putting blankets under the crib mattress to make it even. So far it works pretty well.

HTH.

crunchymum
04-04-2005, 09:39 AM
we removed the front rail completely, and it was still very sturdy... :)

milkmommy
04-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Yep we also removed the front rail. was very stable and designed so you could do it anyways as it coverted into a "toddler" bed which was nothing but the crib wit hrail removed. I would love if someone designed a crib/cosleeper where the rail could be raised then lowered to become flush with the adult bed with some type of safe but soft top so it would be comfy to lie on... I've Of course it could be raised and lowered quietly I've actually dreamed about it LOL

Deanna

wuzzie
04-05-2005, 11:44 AM
We took one side off and then pushed the crib against the wall.