PDA

View Full Version : No family bed?

milkmommy
03-30-2005, 04:00 PM
DId anyone here choose to cosleep but not do a family bed? Like here ae DH and I plans for our kids.. All our children will be encouraged to cosleep (most likly side car) with us untill we choose to night wean and that time will probably be allinged with them learning to stand and walk then will be moved to own space but will share our room till we feel they are ready to go into their own room (most likely shared with another sibiling) however (minus normal childhood issues such as nightmares, growth spurts illiness etc) wee only want one child with us at a time. We like cosleeping because of the strong BF bond it creates and feel each child deserves and needs that time.... We don't expect each child to transition at the same age or to be "totally" on their own once they are, but overall we don't want the family bed (as in multiple kids).. Am I alone?

Deanna

ArmsOfLove
03-30-2005, 04:46 PM
probably not alone :)

I lived in Japan as a child and was exposed to the family bedroom and that's how my family did things when I was growing up so I never really considered doing anything else :)

2sunshines
03-30-2005, 05:06 PM
No, you're not alone.

Ds slept with us for the first 2 years of life. We transitioned him to his own room and his own bed before dd was born.

Dd (2 in a week) still sleeps with us.

So, although occassionally we do have the "family bed" in that ds comes in during the middle of the night (very occassionally), we generally have coslept with only one kid at a time.

Dizzy Blond
04-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Deanna,

That's our plan, I think. I love cosleeping, but I do hope dd is ready to transition to her own bed at some point. Of course, it will depend on when she stops nursing, which I will enforce with an iron will to be before she goes to college. ;)

Crystal - I lived in Japan, too, from 97-98 ... in Takamatsu, Shikoku. Where were you? :)

BeckaBlue
04-01-2005, 12:40 PM
mine all were swtched to their room so far (well, not nik) we'd done parttime cosleeping though (until a few mts ago, nik is FT now and has finally started sleeping most the night!!) kenzie transitioned out around 10mts and actually never transferred abbey out really. immediately she preferred her own space for sleep, though she sleep w/ us more now than as a baby, making up for it i guess :lol she does part time now

but TBH, were thinking of switching to FB, but right now were on the futon in the LR so we havent made the switch yet and am no totally sure we will. ive loved when weve all been in the same room though, so much easier to deal w/ nighttime stuff

Radosny Matka
04-01-2005, 02:32 PM
No family bed for us here. Nathaniel does sleep with one of us a couple times a week. However, we don't trust DH in bed with a newborn. He is a very deep sleeper, and it wouldn't be safe. Patrick co-sleeps with me in the recliner right now. :D

MarynMunchkins
04-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Honestly, I hate co-sleeping. :( I don't sleep well, and dh complains up the ying yang. ;) We only do it with little ones because it's easier than getting up every 2 hours :rolleyes and my last two kids don't sleep. :P

We're definitely NOT doing a family bed. Colin sleeps in his crib next to our bed most of the night, and I'm trying to transition him into Doug's bed. I'm looking forward to having my bed back to just dh and I. :)

ServantofGod
04-05-2005, 05:54 AM
I only co-sleep with newborns, save for the occassional nightmare or illness. When my kids went from a crib to a bed, I had them move into a double bed, so that I or dh could sleep all or part of the night when necessary. This has worked well for us.

I don't like someone touching me in my sleep. I can only cope with it for the hard newborn period, because it's easier than jogging to another room all night long.

Close2MyHeart
04-05-2005, 06:36 AM
We only co-sleep w/ newborns as well... By the time they were 6 mos they were in their own bed and then in their own rooms around 6 mos- 1yr depending on the child and how they adjusted...