PDA

View Full Version : Help me buy a sling

expatmom
03-30-2005, 02:20 PM
When I have baby #3 (sometime in the next year or so I hope), I finally want to buy a sling. My Baby Bjorn was awesome with the first two, but I want to try something different this time. I've read a lot of the different sites & have a few ideas. I'd like something that isn't cumbersome & is good for a lot of walking/travelling, that dh could also wear.

My thought is though, that maybe I should buy a sling now, for occasional use with my almost 3yr old (lightweight 25ish pounds) instead of waiting for a newborn. We were travelling this weekend & went to a tourist site that involved hundreds of stairs. DS fell asleep part way down & my poor dh was exhausted by the end.

So here are my questions: Is there a sling that you have used successfully for both for newborns & older kids? Do you think trying a sling with an almost 3 yr old is crazy?

Thanks experienced mommas!

churchpunkmom
03-30-2005, 04:11 PM
In my experience, any sling can be used for both. My 16mo is also about 25lb and I still wear him in the sling. (He's actually asleep on my back in my Ella Roo Wrap right now! :mrgreen)

milkmommy
03-30-2005, 04:13 PM
any sling can be used fo both personally L prefer an adjustable sling in the early months or when you might like to use the sling for breastfeeding and pouch slings latter for quick and easy use.
Deanna

NEmomof4
04-01-2005, 10:34 AM
I used a padded sling for my first 3 and liked it but never knew that I'd like the maya wrap more until I got one with my 4th. I love how it hugs the baby, especially when they're young and I love the pocket it has to keep all my money, keys etc. I can chuck in a diaper and don't have to carry another bag when I go shopping etc. My 9month old is 22-24 lb now and we use it a lot. I bought a didymos which I like but use the maya more because I don't have to take the time to tie it up like the didy. We're always in a hurry around here! :D

MarynMunchkins
04-01-2005, 11:52 AM
I've used my mei tei for Ana (who's 4), Colin (16 months) and my friends 2 month old. It's comfy for all. I prefer a ring sling for the little babies, however. It seems a little more secure to me. :shrug

LauraK
04-10-2005, 08:06 PM
I have used my ABC (mei tai) to carry both my infant and my 32 lb. 2 year old. my mom got me mine from http://www.doodlebugboutique.com/. I have also carried them both in a ring sling but it is less comfortable for heavier babies. I prefer ring slings for the baby at church and when I need to get her in and out a lot.

malakoa
05-09-2005, 08:04 PM
i love the moby wrap and my eight month old is well over 20 lbs. She loves it too!

KoalaMommy
05-11-2005, 08:55 AM
I second the suggestion for a wrap style carrier. I chose the Moby because it can go from newborn to 35lbs+ depending on your comfort. There are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many ways to wrap and carry a babe/child (even more than what Moby sends you when you buy one). I also chose Moby for the value, it was a good price for such a versatile carrier. You can do a front, back or side carry, there are good positions for nursing a newborn or a small babe (I imagine older ones too, but we haven't gotten there). DD is way into the front facing carry right now.

Have fun shopping!

TulipMama
05-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Personally, I found the ease of the pouch fantastic when I was slinging #4. I wore it all day, and popped the baby in and out. I used it some with the older kids, too. It was perfect for travelling. (I especially liked that the baby wasn't as exposed to germs around us. ..)

Hubby doesn't like using a sling, but there are fabrics that are masuline enough for guys. The one drawback is that the pouch isn't adjustable, if there is a considerable size difference between you and your Hubby.

lasagefemme
06-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Wow, as many different answers as their are mamas :) I have tried many...........but for ease and comfort....the ring sling is my favorite. Expat...if you sew, the Maya Wrap page has simple instructions on how to make your own. I personally like a *touch* of padding, cuz the Maya Wrap left marks on my little girl's chubby thighs in hip carry. Sooo, I tweaked a couple patterns and designed my own. My guys have been in them since birth.......til now (littlest is 2 1/2).

You can see some here www.organicherbalmamas.com

Lisa