PDA

View Full Version : our dog killed a rabid raccoon:UPDATE

Oliveshoots
03-30-2005, 01:51 PM
:sa
our husky killed a raccoon over the weekend. he has been quarantined with the humane alliance while the raccoon is being tested. found out jjust now the raccoon was positive for rabies :eek :eek scary. sadly our dog's rabies vax expired LAST Dec (2003) We thought it was good through this past Dec.(04) Doesn't change the fact that we let it expire, but with dd being born and other issues it just kept getting put on the back-burner. We would NEVER have let it go this far had we realized it had been THAT long. But that's just an excuse.
SO obviously our options are euthenasia or 6 mos quarantine (which is very cruel, IMO).

I am so mad at myself and dh for getting him ino this situation, but we have to make a decision by tomorrow at 10 am.

What would you do?????

Would either of those decisions affect the safety of my children one way or the other?

I know this post is going to make most of you angry for our irresponsibility to our dog, but please refrain from flaming me over it.

Thanks for your prayers and advice if you feel so led. I am so sad and mad and hating myself right now. And irrationally angry at the people who started clearing out this stand of trees near us, where the raccoons lived, that in turn ran them out so that my dog could get hold of one. :rolleyes :banghead i'm also now fearful that more rabid raccoons will be around, so do I let mom take ds out to play in her yard when he's here?? :cry :cry

DogwoodMama
03-30-2005, 01:58 PM
:hug I'm sorry this happened to you & your doggy! What a hard decision. And it is scary there was a rabid racoon near your house- that was brave of your dog to kill it! :eek

Teribear
03-30-2005, 02:00 PM
:hugI think I would probably have him put down. :cry :hug 6 months in a quarentine cage with no guarentee that he won't get rabies and die himself would in my opinion be more cruel than having him euthanized.

:hug I'm so sorry this happened. :hug

I would be way concerned about getting animal control out there to set some racoon traps too.

Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion but that's what I would do if I was faced with the choice you're faced with.

SPKarenO
03-30-2005, 02:07 PM
i think i would put him down...here are my reasons:

:arrow Keeping the dog home is not an option.

:arrow I just plain hate the idea of my pet being locked up with no loving care.

:arrow Theres no guarantee the dog won't develop rabies and need to be put down anyway.

:arrow My DH had a dog in quarentine for several months - the dog came home and was very aggressive to everyone, when previously had not been at all. i've heard of this happening to others too. In each situation the animal ended up being put down anyway.

This situation really really sucks, and I'm sorry!

domesticzookeeper
03-30-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm so sorry you've found yourself in this difficult situation :cry. No words of wisdom, other than echoing what these ladies have said. Just lots and lots of :hug.

Peepsqueak
03-31-2005, 05:23 PM
Can you get titers on your dog? Vaccines can be given once and supposedly not have to be given again, they just give them every year so they can guarantee vaccinations...by law in city limits, etc. I would take him to the vet and see if he can be tested or titered, first.

Sanveann
03-31-2005, 06:14 PM
I am under the impression that rabies vaccines are actually really needed every year.

Is there anyone who can keep him for you for the sixth months? I would hate to put down such a good, brave dog, but I agree that kenneling him for six months is not a good idea, if that's the only other option. Dogs tend to deteriorate in those situations.

Oliveshoots
04-01-2005, 10:59 AM
I am having to make the terrible decision today to have him put down. For many reasons...the main one being, the amount of damage he did on that poor little raccoon, there is a very high chance he will contract rabies (his vaccines were 2 years overdue :banghead), there are chances he will contract other kennel diseases from being around the other dogs, and mainly because he is used to running (relatively) free and having fresh air/being outside 24/7. Also, the only animal hospital I found that would do the quarantine in this county charges $128 A DAY because they charge for the cages on either side of him. That would be $23040. Yes, 23 THOUSAND dollars. At first I thought I could find it for $15 a day, and thought, hey if I sell a sling a day for 6 months, I can pay for it. :think You know how many slings I would have to make to get 23 thousand dollars??? This is becoming pretty impossible and so unbearable to even think about.

I feel like such a hypocrite...i am pro-life in all respects, and yet I'm having to euthenize our family pet because of my irresponsibility and laziness. It would have only cost $50 (includes rabies vax, overnight fee, and pre-medication because he has an allergic reaction to his rabies shot and they have to keep him under close supervision) and I just did not do it. I know God will forgive me, but I'm still very angry with myself and just so so sad. I have not been this sad over my dog since the time 3 years ago when he went missing for 4 days. He has survived being struck by lightning, eating a bag full of rotten garbage as a puppy, and almost being stomped to death by our bull. Oh, and he developed seizures over the past 2 years, maybe from the lightning strike. He is so beautiful and strong and regal and we kept him "intact" so we could breed him. I hate that he is having to die because of my stupidity.

Anyway, self-rant over....
Thanks for listening.
And thank you all for your advice....I would LOVE to have just given him away to someone, anyone who would keep him for the 6 months, just to know he wouldn't have to die. But in our county (and maybe even our state) they have to be kept in a licensed facility by a licensed veterinarian. This is just an impossible situation.

Sanveann
04-02-2005, 03:47 AM
((((Kristen))))

Please don't beat yourself up over this. Many, many people who love and cherish their pets lose track of their vaccination schedule. I know i have. Maybe you can use this as a way to remind people to keep their pets' vaccines current. :hug

This Busy Mom
04-02-2005, 07:10 AM
There's a one year and a 3 year vaccine.

I'm really sorry this happened to your dog :( . He was protecting you guys. :cry

I detest raccoons. They were really overpopulated where I used to live, and they killed and ate over 40 of my chickens and try to get my cat when he got out while I was in the hospital with my dd. My poor cat was sooooo happy to get back to me.

ranade3
04-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Kristen I am so sorry. :cry

boonpnutsmom
04-02-2005, 04:33 PM
:hug I'm so so sorry, please know if you do have to put him down, this is for his safety, and that of your family. It's a very difficult decision and I hope you can find some peace. :pray

Miss Priss
04-05-2005, 08:37 AM
:cry :hug

shilohmm
04-21-2005, 06:17 PM
:hug

So sorry. :(

Sheryl

poleidopy
04-21-2005, 06:53 PM
:cry :hug how sad.