PDA

View Full Version : I want to HS my 5 y/o.

4blessings
03-29-2005, 10:03 PM
My older boys (9 and 12) go to PS. It's fine. More than fine, really. They've had great experiences. No complaints from me at all. They like going to PS with their friends, and I'd have a hard time bringing them back home.

DS #3 will start Kg in the fall. I find myself thinking all the time about HSing him. But I think my reasons are totally selfish. I know from experience with my older boys that once children start school, you lose a certain part of them and I'm not ready to give that up with my third. (He's not my baby, BTW. I also have a 3 y/o). There are times when my heart literally hurts when I think about him going to school every day next year. He is in pre-school this year and loves it. I'm fine with that, but it's b/c it's a very nuturing, developmental school and he's there MWF for only 2.5 hours. His teachers are so gentle and kind. It's been an awesome experience for him.

I've enjoyed my two young ones so much b/c I've learned so much since I had my first two, LOL! I really realize now how fleeting childhood is. I treasure the time we have all day to play, read, take trips to interesting places, study a bug on the sidewalk, etc. Even little things like having lunch together. I have visions of doing great things when I'm HSing my younger two together. But I really think I'm just being selfish.

DH thinks DS wouldn't be happy being HSed b/c 1) he's expecting to go to Kg. next year where his brother goes to school and 2) he loves going to p/s.

Ack! I'm confused and am really just "talking out loud".

Mama Bird
03-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Have you prayed about this? We prayed for a year, while our daughter was in PS before we went ahead with HSing. God put the idea in my head and it was tenacious. He provided so many signs to us that this was His will for our precious daughter. We were moving, and found a home in a town with a huge homeschool population. A HSing group formed at our church! We found a small group that is made up completely of homeschooling parents. He brought homeschoolers into our lives to encourage us.

If this is what God wants for your child, He'll let you know. ;)

Reva
04-02-2005, 11:23 AM
ITA w/ MamaBee! God dropped the whole hs'ing thing in my heart when Em was just over a year old. It's something I just *know* we're supposed to do for our family. So just pray about it, and God will lead you! :hug