PDA

View Full Version : child development

apbfmom
03-29-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm looking for a realiable source of information on the stages of child development. Most of my frustration with dd stems from my assumption that she should be able to understand or do certain things. I know you can't use the information as a checklist to monitor their growth, but if somebody could at least give me a range of ages when she starts to learn impulse control (for example) that would be wonderful.

Thanks!

schoolofmom
03-29-2005, 09:06 PM
The oft-mentioned Ames and Ilg little books "Your __________-Year-Old" are an excellent resource, and available at most libraries. I don't necessarily agree with their assumptions of what motivates the child's behavior, but they are a good guide for what's typical. Here's a link to Your Two-Year-Old. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0440506387/qid=1112155547/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-9614349-3717656?v=glance&s=books)

lenswyf
03-30-2005, 04:52 AM
I absolutely agree with the previous poster. The series of books by Louise Bates-Ames is excellent as a source of information on what children can and cannot do at certain ages, and even in helping you to understand what your child is capable of doing and understanding. I used to read them about 3 months after dd's birthday, and it would always make me laugh. She was so "normal" -- doing all the things the books said she would, etc. It helped me to parent her more effectively because I wasn't getting frustrated by holding expectations that were too high for her age.

Your library probably has the whole series.

apbfmom
03-30-2005, 06:12 AM
Thanks, I'll have to check out this series.