PDA

View Full Version : quite ashamed of myself...wwyd??

Oliveshoots
03-29-2005, 02:17 PM
All this after I posted earlier about how well the kids at church respond to my boundaries and expectations :rolleyes

So the kids are just off spring break, and we're back to our Tues afternoon handchime choir rehearsal....I'll try to be brief....but I need PRACTICAL ideas for how to handle this better than I did....

The group consists of 5 boys and 3 girls, ages 3rd - 5th grade. They are usually pretty talkative and silly, so I try to do some games and such to keep it exciting. Today we started a new song. I asked them each to color in their notes, which they are used to doing. And this song wasn't half as long as some others we have done. The WHOLE time they are preparing, here are just some snippets of what I was hearing:
J: "D keeps saying cr** and he knows I don't like that word."
D: "I am not! Shutup, J!"
Me: "whether or not it's a "bad word", let's not use it if it bothers someone else."
So J comes back from the bathroom and says "the whole time I ws in the bathroom, D kept saying that word over and over just to bug me."
(I had previously tried to explain to the kids about being a stumbling block, and that it may not be bad to say or do something, but if it bothers someone else, you shouldn't do it." So then this one boy, who is very smart and pretty "spiritual" for his age, goes into all this "what about free will?" and I say "well that's not exactly what I'm talking about." And he says "so if my teacher tells me not to make A's, I should do what she says just so it won't upset her?" :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead Oh my....so i ended the "teachable moment" right there. (Is that normal for a 10 year old boy???)
So then more stuff happens, just basic talking yacking being disrespectful of me and "backbiting" with each other.
A few "positive" things I tried (but so cliche):
"Use positive words with each other. Please don't say things that hurt."
And then the old "If you can't say something helpful to someone, then please don't say anything."
And "It's my job to make sure D is doing the right thing, not yours. You make sure you are doing the right thing."
And finally, when I asked the "free willy" boy mentioned above not to lean on the tables (for many reasons, one being I didn't want dd in the sling getting bashed in the head by a sliding table), he decides to put his music on the floor and play from there. So then L follows suit, and the other kids were about to try it, too. So I stopped and said "Do you think it's okay with me that you sit on the floor and play your chimes?" I tried REALLY hard not to say it sarcastically. I made eye contact and tried to keep my tone even (even though I felt like screaming). So boy A says "this is the only way I can keep from leaning on the table, becuase it's my natural tendency to lean on it." Then I say, "well I think you're old enough to stop yourself from leaning on the table, especially since it's hard to ring the chimes with your elbows on the table."
Now I'm thinking, maybe this was his way of helping himself do the right thing, and maybe I should have just let him play on the floor? But then part of me says no, he's old enough to stand here for a few more minutes without leaning. And if i let him play on the floor, then they will all want to sit on the floor and play. So should I have just let them all sit on the floor and play? I think maybe my expectations were too high.

So ANYWAY....after about 10 minutes of this, I just had our ministry assistants call all the parents letting them know chimes would end at 3:30 today (this was at 3:20) instead of 4. (They also let them know that since it was such short notice, the kids could stay with me until 4:00.) Incidentally, every parent except one was here at 3:30. I told the kids (very calmly in fact) that since we couldn't focus and get anything done, we would stop early becauwse i just didn't have it in me to try and continue to teach through their disrespect. I told them that they didn't have to be here, that I didn't want them to be miserable, I wanted them to have fun, but we also needed to learn and work at the same time. I asked them to think about it before next week, and if it's something they want to continue to be involved in, then come back next week. If not, that's okay, too. It's sad because there are 3 or 4 in there that really get frustrated when the others prevent us from proceeding.

And this whole time I'm explaining to them why we're ending rehearsal early, the "free will" kid has his hand up and is tryign to interrupt me. i looked at him and said "what I'm saying right now is very important. please listen." So when I was done, I acknowledged his raised hand and you know what he just HAD to tell me that whole time? "J has the green apple runs (something or other) in the bathroom." Well, j had already returned from the bthroom and did not tell me he was sick. (This boys like to tease each other about bodily functions, which I know is typical boy, but it's NOT FUNNY when the boy being made fun of is not laughing.

I am feeling SO punitive right now. And feelign like my expectations for them are WAY inappropriate for their age. Did I set them up for this? Oh I must add that I wasn't all naggy today, I did point out to them when I saw them being ready, marking their music correctly, etc. etc.

I'm also frustrated that I can't really go to my pastor about this and expect to get non-punitive help. I went to him a couple weeks ago about one child in particular and he suggested a chair facing the wall for this child to sit in when he used obscenities under his breath. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my pastor and respect him highly, and he is very good with kids....but this was just a bit too punitive and humiliating (to the child) for me to try.

Any ideas???
I feel like cr** (that word that kid doesn't like) right now.

It is SO HARD to be GBD and non-punitive with kids who aren't raised around it. I'm really struggling not resorting to my old punitive mindset I had when I taught school.

Please help and :pray if you feel led.

TIA.

sadie
03-29-2005, 04:27 PM
:hug That is a really tough situation! FWIW, I think you handled it pretty well. :)

The first thing I thought was that the A's boy could have been my dh. Seriously, the smart alecky stuff, the quick retorts, the sass....the intelligence and perceptiveness. :)

Man, kids like that are hard to deal with. Also, they tend to be leaders and influence the rest of the kids to also act up. They are naturally in command and they are usually the only ones to stand up against the adult and say something "sassy."

My gut tells me that if you can get through to him, the rest of the kids will fall into line. I think a kid like that is craving firm boundries, while at the same time being treated very respectfully. He needs to know that respecting you and complying with you is not negotiable. But he also needs to be assured that you will treat him considerately and and fairly. I'll bet he hates being talked down to and condescended to. It sounds like he really wants to be treated like an adult, but he needs to learn that rudeness is not the way to go.

One thing I can think of is that when he brought up that free will thing, I would have simply and seriously asked, "What do you think?" And then sat back and waited for his answer. Instead of indulging his desire to provoke you, you can treat it like a serious question that deserves consideration. If he gets rude, you can promptly say, "I do not tolerate rudeness. Please answer me politely, or if you cannot, we can continue this conversation when you are ready to." Basically, be very polite and respectful to him, but refuse to engage him in his attempts at rudeness and provocation. Also, stand up firmly for your right to be treated respectfully.

Other (more experienced :blush ) mamas can probably help more. :)

Dizzy Blond
03-29-2005, 04:31 PM
:hug Kristen!

Sorry, I taught 9-11 yr olds SS and that was so hard!! One day I didn't have any materials (the director was late in ordering them) so I did my own study on the Trinity. I used Prov 8 as an example of Jesus and one girl openly just hammered me on this. I brought it up w/ her mom & her mom saw how it applied. The next week, the mom lectured me on sticking to the text on the 1 minute walk to class and how I was soooo wrong and her dd understands the Bible inside out b/c she reads it all the time (ok, John Calvin, Martin Luther, John Wesley and Matthew Henry agree with me, but what do I know?), but I just said 'uh-huh' b/c I was thinking of the class. In class, the opening discussion was "what disappoints me" and the girl in question said "I'm disapointed when my teacher tells lies about Jesus".

I so wish I did more like what you did of calling the class short and in my case sent the girl to her mom to sit in church. And then make it clear to the mom that I will not tolerate disrespect in my class. I think you were totally right. It is the parents job to discipline and your job to teach music. I think most moms would understand that something went on & that you needed to end the class. If not, they should be asking you. I never did address the issue with the mom and my feelings were hurt for a long time.

I think the enemy of our souls wants to discourage us and make our ministry as difficult as possible. Hang in there! I just gave up and started teaching 3-4 yo's b/c their worst behavior was crawling under the table. ;)

God bless,
Susan

schoolofmom
03-29-2005, 04:36 PM
:hug That sounds like a nightmarish situation to me--very tough! It sounds to me like they needed to ease in again after the freedom from structure of Spring Break. At the child care center where I did observations, Mondays were always awful for that reason.

I've never been the sole teacher for that many children, but while reading your post it occurred to me that maybe the book Positive Discipline in the Classroom by Jane Nelsen would be a help. She has some great ideas--we used that book as our text in the "Guidance in the Classroom" course in college.

And also--are you the only teacher? Do you not have any assistance? Would any of the teens at your church be interested in helping out?

ArmsOfLove
03-29-2005, 06:38 PM
Yeah--it's very normal for that age. I don't think that you have unrealistic expectations--I do think you're taking their age appropriate behavior a little personal :hug Check out the Ames and Ilg books for those ages ;) I would create some rules and post them, include them in the rule making process. And go over them at the beginning of the practice until they are getting them :)

mrsramjet
03-29-2005, 08:57 PM
kosmom,
i totally feel for you, and i even know a bit of what this is like!
my job for 15 years was a music teacher in schools here in australia. (instrumental - violins and stuff) and each school had at least one orchestra or ensemble.....so i had teaching groups ranging from 3-8 and large groups ranging from 15 - 45 :eek with never any assistance in the teaching....
SO i actually feel kind of qualified to answer. :mrgreen

i think that your expectations sound quite reasonable.
i also think that you need to develop a thick skin with this age group. not accepting the behaviour, but not letting it wound you personally.
this boy needs a job within the group. classic kind of situation where instead of 'punishing' the 'trouble maker' thereby absolutely guaranteeing a longstanding feud, you enlist his help. gain his trust and co operation with the understanding that he needs to behave appropriately. ( i think also *i* was this child myself). so can you get him to be in charge of arranging furniture, or making sure everyone has the right parts, or pencils or whatever. avoid it being a 'police man' type roll, though. just a job he can do. give everyone notes to take home or whatever.
i would also be very firm about these OT discussions waiting until after class. say that you are happy to discuss it (not avoiding or 'chickening out' just postponing) but not right now.
"right now we are....."
"lets....."
"you / we need to....."
similar to enlisting cooperation in gbd.

i remember operating with this strong assumption that they would do as i asked. almost like a 'vibe' i put out (without wanting to sound loopy).

hth.

and dizzy blond i would be livid with that mother too. and that girl's response the next week. :surprised