PDA

View Full Version : Another Dishwashing Confession

Allison
03-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Does anyone else with a dishwasher wash their dishes first anyway? My sister thinks I'm nuts, but I can't put dirty dishes into the dishwasher. I don't feel like handwashing my dishes gets them clean enough and the dishwasher is like the disinfecting part of the washing for me, but the sink is where they really get clean, just not germ-free. I know that most people rinse their dishes, of course, but who else washes them first?

jengi33
03-29-2005, 08:05 AM
Sorry not me, I agree with your sister! :lol

Although, sometimes when stuff is stuck on plate after going through the dishwasher, then I wash the dish! Drives me crazy! :banghead

Allison
03-29-2005, 12:36 PM
Hee hee! Maybe I AM nuts! LOL

Piper2
03-29-2005, 01:01 PM
I let the dishwasher wash as many as I can fit into it! ;) But I always rinse and scrub them first with a dish brush because I can't stand trying to wash off stuff that's been baked on by the dishwasher. :rolleyes That's the main reason I don't let DH load or unload the dishwasher anymore -- he doesn't rinse first and just puts stuff away that still has food reside on it ("But it's clean food!" :banghead). :mad

waremock
03-29-2005, 01:04 PM
I never rinse first and run mine every day :eek Cascade complete lets you skip the pre-washing! They always come out sparkly clean. I do clean my DW once a month with one of those dishwashing packets too thou..Gotta love this New Cascade Complete thou :D

GodisGood
03-29-2005, 01:09 PM
I never rinse first and run mine every day :eek Cascade complete lets you skip the pre-washing! They always come out sparkly clean. I do clean my DW once a month with one of those dishwashing packets too thou..Gotta love this New Cascade Complete thou :D

Love Cascade Complete and I agree with your sister as well. :lol

lumpofclay
03-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Sorry. . . I don't pre-rinse my dishes either. I do scrape most of the food off in the trash first though! Does that count? ;)

I do clean my DW once a month with one of those dishwashing packets too thou..

Is there something I'm missing in the cleaning isle? Is there something you can run in your dishwasher to "clean" it? Or are you just running it with DW det. empty?

Allison
03-29-2005, 03:06 PM
There is a product you can use to clean your dishwasher once a month!
http://www.jetdry.com/product_page/product.html#3 JetDry Dishwasher Cleaner!
And, yep! I AM nuts! And embarrassed now! LOL

ShangriLewis
03-29-2005, 04:46 PM
My mom does that and it drives me nuts. I found that if I use "natural" detergents I would have to prewash. Now I just use Electrosol tablets and no prewashing. If I want to wash dishes I wouldn't have the washer. Occasionally I get stuck on oatmeal and I just leave it in there. It seems pretty water wasteful to rinse the dishes first.

Heather

scottishthistle
03-29-2005, 06:21 PM
hmph, wish I had a dishwasher ;) oh wait- it's me

Maggie
03-29-2005, 09:40 PM
Allison, you're not nuts unless I am, too... OK, so you are! :mrgreen We had a d/w at the last place we lived that did a horrible job of cleaning, so we had to wash or soak them first. We did/do always use the hottest setting, though. Now, we have a d/w that works a lot better, but I still have the urge to at least rinse them. It's hard for me to put dishes in with a bunch of food on them, though dh has no problem with that.

Have you ever seen pics of thr process they use to rate d/ws on Consumer Reports? They put a full dinner plate in there and I guess some actually get it completely clean! :eek

4blessings
03-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Not me! I hate doing dishes by hand and do only those that can't be washed in the DW. I do rinse mine completely before I put them in the DW, though.

Heather
03-29-2005, 10:36 PM
I always rinsed my dishes... Just force of habit b/c that's how my mom does it.

Well, I tried it the other month with no rinsing... I mean dirty yucky dishes....

They came out spotless!! No more rinsing for me! I called my mom and told her, and she actually had to come see for herself!! She didn't believe me.

Allison
03-30-2005, 06:23 AM
I guess if others are getting good results maybe i should just try it. . .

LadyBird
03-30-2005, 06:42 AM
The town we live in has horribly hard water, and I had to stop using the dishwasher for a few months because it was putting this thick white film on my dishes. Now I found a product that is awesome! It is called Lemi-Shine and it is fruit acids/oil. If I put a tablespoon of it in the compartment that you close, and then just cheap ol' dishsoap in the other one, my dishes come out sparkling! I love it! No more hard water problems, and the dishes look great. I still rinse ahead of time though, just because I can't stand it if any food gets stuck/baked on to the plates or glasses.

waremock
03-30-2005, 07:07 AM
[
I do clean my DW once a month with one of those dishwashing packets too thou..

Is there something I'm missing in the cleaning isle? Is there something you can run in your dishwasher to "clean" it? Or are you just running it with DW det. empty?

Yes, it is a small white box with a really,really, dirty stained up dish washer on the front of the box. The name is escaping me at the moment..I believe it is in blue letters thou? Small 5x6 white box? Anyone KWIM? I see it all the time at the market thou.. 2 bags come in the box for 1.79.. We get them for free at our church food bank..which is why the name is escaping me..I generally just run in and grab the box! ~Michelle