PDA

View Full Version : spitting

milkmommy
03-28-2005, 04:45 PM
DD gotten into the habit of holding liquids in her moth then dribbling into varies household "spaces" like I just stoped her from doing it into one of her leggos :rolleyes. What can I do to discourage this other than only allowing drinks at the table with me watching.
(Deanna

ArmsOfLove
03-28-2005, 04:50 PM
that and a rule that spitting is only for outside or in the sink :) then you move them to those places every time they go to spit and eventually they get the idea.

gross habit, I know :rolleyes

milkmommy
03-28-2005, 04:55 PM
that and a rule that spitting is only for outside or in the sink :) then you move them to those places every time they go to spit and eventually they get the idea.

gross habit, I know :rolleyes

What if she can't go to those places on her own? like we keep cleaning stuff and repair kits for instruments in the bathroom so for safety reasons keep the door locked and then she needs stools etc to reach the sink and she cannot reach the kitchen sink with out a large step stool which she'd loove to get to climb on :rolleyes and of course she can't go outside on her own..... so would leading her to these places be so she gets board and gives up or to give her an apprpiate place to "spit"
Deanna

ArmsOfLove
03-28-2005, 05:07 PM
you could always give her a spittoon ;)

milkmommy
03-28-2005, 05:14 PM
you could always give her a spittoon ;)

Oh gosh NO! :lol she'd fill up the sucker then dump it somplace! (IE been down that road :rolleyes :D)

Deanna

4blessings
03-29-2005, 01:39 PM
I did exactly what Crystal suggested. It took just a couple of days for him to get the idea.

milkmommy
03-29-2005, 01:51 PM
**sigh** well for now its all drinks at the table only we can see no other way right now :( It feels punitive but I'm at a complete loss, the spitting in sink or outside is just totally inapropiate for our home.. plus its too late once its started and this is a rental home we can't afford water, Juice or milk stains on carpet...

Deanna

4blessings
03-29-2005, 04:28 PM
I don't think it's punitive at all. IMO, it's really no different than saying to a child who has colored on the walls, "I'm going to put the crayons up for a while." FWIW, in our home, all drinks except water stay at the kitchen table, even in sippy cups, whether you spit or not. Spills happen and stained carpet makes me crazy.

milkmommy
03-29-2005, 04:56 PM
I don't think it's punitive at all. IMO, it's really no different than saying to a child who has colored on the walls, "I'm going to put the crayons up for a while." FWIW, in our home, all drinks except water stay at the kitchen table, even in sippy cups, whether you spit or not. Spills happen and stained carpet makes me crazy.

Thanks that is a good way of looking at it. Whats funny I'm the one that's "upset" with this new arrangment DD could care less :lol :rolleyes :O

Deanna

4blessings
03-29-2005, 06:09 PM
LOL! Well, children do love boundaries. :)

ArmsOfLove
03-29-2005, 09:55 PM
Oh I think that's an absolute reasonable boundary!!! Not punitive at all :)

godsgracegiven
03-30-2005, 02:21 AM
FWIW, in our home, all drinks except water stay at the kitchen table, even in sippy cups, whether you spit or not. Spills happen and stained carpet makes me crazy. ITA, we have the same rule for food. But my kiddos went through a period where they would spit in the way that you described. We would have them get a hand towel if it happened. We have them pitch in on cleaning the mess up. And gently remind them that spitting is for the sink or outside. DS gets to practice spitting in the sink, but I think that could be for boy reasons. ;)