PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a Clue? (Planting Newbie)

RealLifeMama
03-28-2005, 02:08 PM
I have never planted anything that has ever grown, or even germinated!

I got my DD some seeds for Easter. Now I don't know what to do with them!
It seems so tiny, and there are so many seeds in a bag!
One thing we got her were petunia seeds. I have a terra cotta pot that is about 5 inches across the top and I thought we'd put them in there to start. I can't believe I am asking this, but do you just use one seed per plant? I guess I am asking how many seeds do I put in the pot? They are so tiny and there are so many seeds per bag!
I only have one pot and a couple different bags of seeds, so I just don't know what to do with them.

We are planning to plant a few veggies and such, so I got her some veggie seeds, too. I got lettuce, spinach, and carrots that I know are early spring plants around where I live. I also have herbs. Can I put them in an egg carton to germinate? If so, again, do I just put one seed per pocket?
Would yogurt containers work too if I poked a hole?

What does "thinning" mean?

snlmama
03-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Let's see if I can answer your questions.

You may need a bigger pot or more pots if you want to plant all of the seeds. If you want to transfer them outside later, an egg crate or yogurt container or even a paper cup would work for now. :smile

Yes, you use one seed per plant, but it won't really hurt anything if you get more than one in a hole. And, read each package b/c some do say to put more than one in a hole. Can't remember what plants I've had that did that, though. I'm thinking squash? Thinning is just that - thinning out the plantings so that there is just one plant per hole/spot - when they start growing you pull out the extra seedlings where there are more than one growing out of a hole. Depending on how far apart it says to plant them you can likely plant several in the one pot in different holes.

Just relax and have fun. Your dd will be delighted if even a few grow and flower and it's likely most of them will. :)

tempus vernum
04-01-2005, 06:05 AM
I personally put 3 to 5 seeds per cup and then thin them down (i.e. pull out the tiniest ones to allow room for the sturdiest plant to grow). This year I was thinking of increasing to 7 seeds per cup. I compost the ones I thin so I don't look at it as waste and sometimes the germination is so low that I get no plants and then I have no time to get them going since we have a short growing season.

BUT I am a veggie gardener and don't really "do flowers" at least not yet!

booboo
04-02-2005, 08:00 PM
From a person with a brown thumb..I've been planting a lot myself lately.

First question: Did the bags of seeds come with instructions? Sometimes they do. Ferry-Morse is a good brand. I usually put a few seeds in each pot just in case some seeds don't grow. (learned that from watching a Johnny Appleseed program as a kid in school) Then water, place in a sunny spot in your house. Unless it's raining cats and dogs like in my area..put them near a window, it'll get sunny. Check each day if the soil is moist. We've been using a spray bottle of water and if that isn't enough some days, just pour some water (but not too much). It's a good idea to turn the pot around each day so the plants grow straight. They tend to lean towards where the sunshine is coming from.

Maybe I'm too sensitive but I don't like to thin the plants 'cause I feel sorry for them. I'm like that with stuffed animals too. :O Have fun with this! You'll be learning a lot and so will your dd! :smile