PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about bunnies

CelticJourney
03-27-2005, 06:01 PM
I have the opportunity to get a bunny for my girls. Please tell me what I need to know to make this decision!

My biggest concern is actually three concerns - dogs to be specific. I think my 'old man' would be harmless, but the German Shepard and the other lab are up in the air. Therefore, I need to know how much time they can spend in their cage and be happy. Are they social animals that would do better if there were two of them? What kind of vet bills am I looking at for basic care? Do you spay or neuter bunnies?

Help! I really want to get one, but dh thinks I am totally off the deep end.

ArmsOfLove
03-27-2005, 06:05 PM
all I know about them is that my sil got one for my niece and it bit and poo'd a lot and they didn't keep it long.

cheri
03-28-2005, 04:29 AM
They're not good pets for children. Kids naturally want to hold them and bunnies don' t like to be held. This puts the rabbit in danger of being dropped or trying to escape from the child and being injured. They also bite to defend themselves and they chew on everything.

Whether or not they're social depends on if they like the other rabbit. My sister is a rabbit owner and tried to introduce a "friend" and the 2nd rabbit was terrified of the 1st one. They like to run outside of their cage (you can litter box train them, but they do have accidents and you will find poop) You also need to get them spayed or neutered just as you would with a cat or dog.

They can be lovable and very sweet pets for adults. But I don't think they are ever a good idea for children.

Sanveann
03-28-2005, 05:07 AM
I think it probably would be too big of a risk with three dogs .... plus what Cheri said.

ozmummy
03-28-2005, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the info, Cheri and others, ds wants a rabbit, so it's good to know that it might not be such a good idea. His second choice is a duck.... :eek :D

CelticJourney
03-28-2005, 10:00 AM
If I got more than one it would be two girls from a litter my friend has - I wasn't sure if it would be lonely if I only got one. She says her children (younger than mine) handle them often, so I know these two are good with children.

The reason I was asking about the cage issue is that I wouldn't have the dogs inside and the bunny out of the cage at the same time. My 'old man' isn't much of a concern and I could physically seperate him and the bunny anyway. The other two dogs prefere to be outside, but I always bring them in at night and if the weather is too hot or stormy during the day.

I am really wrestling with the idea that I am looking for a 'baby' - we would really like to have another, but it's a long story. We have just taken down the crib for the little one I watch a couple of days during the week (he prefers to sleep on my bed).

Anyway - thanks for all the advice!!

domesticzookeeper
03-28-2005, 10:02 AM
I could write a really long post on all there is to know about rabbits....or I could just recommend these sites ;):

House Rabbit Society (super informative): www.rabbit.org (http://www.rabbit.org)

Rabbits Only Forum (lots of knowledgable members): www.rabbits-forums.com (http://www.rabbits-forums.com)

:cool

ServingGod
03-29-2005, 10:39 AM
my German Shepherd REALLY wanted to eat our bunny! :eek He would obsess over it.

TestifyToLove
03-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Hmm, our bunny did wonderfully with our dd. She used to pick him up by his ears. I was horrified that she would do it, but Chris would just grunt and thump at her. He used to sleep in the bed with her most nights too.

Sadly, our bunny died in the process of a move. Bunnies can be very sensitive and too much stress can kill them. For many bunnies, that would include dogs and children. But, I would think a lot depends on the actual bunny and children involved.

CelticJourney
03-30-2005, 02:02 PM
Well the dog trainer vetoed the bunnies. We've worked with this couple for 10 years and they trained the police dog, so they know our brood well. A little sad, but better than scared bunnies.

Thanks for all the information!