PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a NON christian hs curriculum

Reva
03-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Maybe it sounds weird, but dh and I have decided to go w/ a non christian curriculum. He feels more strongly than I do about it though. We just don't want to be shoving Christianity down Emmie's throat if that makes any sense. We'll have a separate Bible study. Anyone have any good ideas? I've only looked at Christian websites in the last few years, so I have no idea where to even start. Em definitely doesn't like the workbook type of approach, but I think a textbook might be fine.

*sigh* I had everything ready to go-I was going to order A Beka in a few weeks and now my plan has been blownout of the water. I'm thinking of Saxon math, but as far as everything else I have no idea.

Help! :/

CelticJourney
03-27-2005, 05:54 PM
We use Saxon math and then use the "What Your Kindergartener (up to sixth grade) Needs To Know" as an overview. If you are comfortable picking and choosing you can put together your own curriculum.

I do understand what you are saying about some religious materials. Sometimes it's like they are so focused on making it 'religious' that they distract from the lesson.

ArmsOfLove
03-27-2005, 06:00 PM
I love Math-U-See, we are doing Story of the World which is by a Christian but also talks about all of the ancient cultures. I think the spelling program my friend uses is called Spelling Power and it's generic.

BeckaBlue
03-27-2005, 06:06 PM
mom used alpha omega when i was hs. was able to pick/choose which you wanted (used saxon math instead of alpha omega and only did Bible for one yr). i didn't think it was Holy Roly in the other section, but i also dont think it talked about much about things like evolution

TestifyToLove
03-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Calvert

Sara
03-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Yes, if you are looking to order a packaged curriculum, I would also say Calvert! :tu

FWIW, I don't think that Sonlight "shoves Christianity" down anyone's throat. I think it does a really good job of introducing kids to many different religions, cultures, etc. You could even leave out their Bible stuff if you wanted to. I know of people on another message board who are absolutely not Christian but are still fine with using Sonlight because it is easy to weed out the stuff you don't want to use with your child.

Just a few ideas for you...

Sandy
03-27-2005, 09:39 PM
You also might look at The Well-Trained Mind.

A good place to ask this question would be on the vegsource homeschool secular board.

lenswyf
03-28-2005, 05:00 AM
I was also going to suggest Sonlight. If you eliminated the Bible reading and memory verses -- or did them separately from school -- the curriculum offers a pretty good overview of world cultures and isn't overtly Christian. Of course, I've only really looked at the early grades.

Reva
03-28-2005, 05:22 AM
Funny you should mention Sonlight-after I posted this message I got out my Sonlight catalog and I am really impressed! I got the feeling just by looking through the catalog that while religion is mentioned, it's not *all* the time. Dh had a problem w/ Handwriting for a Reason (I think that's what it's called) b/c they write scripture. Maybe that makes us sound bad for not wanting that. I think he's just scared that if we push religion too much, she'll rebel later on. We both know people who went to Christian school who are as far away from Christianity as you can be.

I know I definitely want to order Sonlight science. I think I just can't get past all the reading. It looks like a lot of books! I love reading to dd, but I'm afraid I'll lose my voice reading that much. :lol

So, is it worth all the money for the entire Sonlight package? I have to admit Sonlight has always been my first pick, but I shyed away from it simply b/c of the money. It's been a year of so since I looked at the Sonlight catalog, but I like what I see so far.

Sara
03-28-2005, 06:15 AM
Reva,

As someone who used Sonlight, went on to use other things, and is coming back to Sonlight now, I would say that the packages are worth the money. If you were to spend that much (or even half that much) on a curriculum like Abeka, you would have very little to show for it at the end of the year. With Sonlight, almost everything is non-consumable meaning you can re-use it later. Our Sonlight preK books are some of my dd's absolute favorite books and she reads them often. I like to think of it as building a nice little library at home for our family.

Also, I know that many people break up the read-alouds. You could just read the Science and History during the day and then do your read-aloud as a bedtime story. Or some people will do all the History reading for the week in one day, all the Science in another, etc. The instructor guide is a nice tool to have, but you certainly don't have to follow it exactly as it is written.

ArmsOfLove
03-28-2005, 09:14 AM
I also think there is a difference betwen what goes on at Christian school and within your home. Regardless of what curriculum you use you will set the tone.

TestifyToLove
03-28-2005, 01:46 PM
I have to agree with Crystal. While I don't want to force my faith onto my children, I absolutely do want to live my faith and teach them with the goal that they will choose this faith. Because, the honest truth is that I do NOT want my children leaving Christianity. I do happen to believe that there is one way to the father and that is through the son. So, I don't believe they are all paths to the same place. I just want my children to desire a heart for the Lord, not feel I tried to make them have that heart.

I have shied away from heavy faith-based curriculum as well, for similiar reasons. I went with Calvert this last school year. I hated it. Its way too school-at-home for my tastes. I ended up giving it to someone desperate for school materials and interested in schooling at home. I have piecemealed this year's materials together to meet the specific needs of the children. But, Dh and I have decided that this summer we will be switching to Sonlight. I was afraid it might be too intense or school-at-home again. But, he points out that if I never use their schedules, I still get a full library for teaching with this way, and won't need to purchase other stuff because of that.

lenswyf
03-28-2005, 06:10 PM
We do Sonlight, but I didn't purchase everything from them. I inventoried all the kids books we had and then compared to the Sonlight list to what we already had -- saved a few bucks there. I took the book list to the library to see what they had -- didn't buy those. I bought some books used, if I was able to get enough to make it worth shipping and still save money. I became an Usborne consultant so I could get the Usborne books at 30% off -- bought those from myself. The rest we bought from Sonlight, but we saved about $150. We plan to do the same routine for Core 1.

However, we only have one child that we will be homeschooling. If you have a second child, I would not hesitate even a moment to purchase a comprehensive package. The books are wonderful and well worth having in the house. And you'll truly get your money out if it with multiple kids.

As for reading time, I find the time they say you'll spend to be pretty accurate. We spend about 30-45 minutes reading, but it's broken up through out the day. But we also read more than they usually call for. Not a huge deal at all.

MamaBeth
03-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Calvert?

3BlueArrows4Us
03-29-2005, 11:21 PM
I too would suggest Sonlight. I would suggest the Handwrting Without Tears! It has worked incredibly well for us!!!

I must admit, though, I do not fully understand the desire to not allow the Gospel to permeate the curriculum. We actually chose Sonlight because of our deep conviction and desire to help our children develop a very strong Christian worldview and a sensitive heart toward people of other countries and ethnicities. I feel it is very important for our children to see that we as parents have convictions and very strong beliefs. There comes a time when they must make the choice if they will accept Jesus Christ as their personal Savior and I want them to understand the Christian heritage they have. Not shove it down their throats, just help them sort things out in light of the Gosepl. Not teach them to live in a "Christian-ized" safehouse. Does that make any sense at all????

Reva
03-30-2005, 05:21 AM
Marcia-I see exactly where you're coming from. I feel the same way to a certain extent. However, dh and I both know several people who have gone to Christian school-who have had Christianity shoved down their throat, and they have every one rebelled. They are all now living as far away from God as you can imagine, and they have every one said it was b/c of their schooling. Now, I do realize as someone else mentioned that this is our home, therefore we're able to make sure it's not too much. However, Emmie already has a heart towards God-we talk about God a lot, we pray a lot, etc. We had a crash course in Heaven, Jesus, etc when our son died. We had to explain over and over again to her where Ryan went, who's in Heaven, etc. I try to use every day life as lessons for Emmie-we had a big lesson on forgiveness the other day when she hurt the cat. :eek :lol So since I feel like I'm already doing a pretty good job w/ the everyday stuff, *that's* why I don't want it in every single second of our day. Obviously we will have Bible study, prayer time, etc. but to me it's a bit over the top to have them write scripture when they're starting to learn ot write. (No flames please from anyone who's using that program-that's just my personal opinion).

Having said all of that, I think I am going to use Sonlight this year. From what I've read here and from their catalog, they seem to have the right mixture of Christianity plus other view points as well. I think it will be just what we're looking for. Now, if I can just figure out where to get the money to buy it! :D

Leslie
03-30-2005, 11:23 AM
to me it's a bit over the top to have them write scripture when they're starting to learn to write.
I know what you mean, I'm hesitant to pressure my kids about giving lip-service to something that's of value to me, but that their own heart hasn't discovered the value of yet. We've done some scripture for writing practice; right now my sons do Proverbs once a week, but they get to pick what they write the other days. They usually choose something from a book they like, but rarely choose scripture on their own. I remember a program that recommended making children write out scripture as instructional punishment for their sins (like, writing "Thou shalt not lie" ten times after getting caught in a lie). I'd be afraid that a tactic like that might make my kids resent the Bible.

LikeADimMirror
03-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Personally, I vote for Sonlight, but there are tons of non-Christian curriculums out there as well. A few off the top of my head:

http://www.k12.com/

http://www.mhschool.com/

http://www.robinsoncurriculum.com/

http://core-curriculum.com/index.php

waremock
03-30-2005, 11:59 AM
I believe "Hayes" is not Christain based as well.

3BlueArrows4Us
03-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Reva, I totally get where you are coming from. It is sad to see those who parents sacrificed to give them a *thoroughly* Christian education so far away from the Lord. I agree with Leslie about not wanting them to give "lip-service" just to make mom and dad happy. It's tough sometimes to find a balance. Sounds like Sonlight is perfect for you! ;)

Joseph has a sensitivity towards the Holy Spirit as well and we are always looking to encourage and nuture that tenderness. I think homeschooling is one of the best ways!!! :)

I am sorry to hear about the death of your son. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy. :bheart

May Sonlight be a great fit for your family! Keep us posted!