PDA

View Full Version : Interactions With Others

Marsha
03-27-2005, 02:39 PM
33 month old dd has been happily trotting off to nursery at church for the last two months. But today when we were in the car, she said "I smushed a boy's hand and made him cry". I wasn't sure what to say since I wasn't there, so I said "well, did you tell him sorry?" and she said "no". Dh and I both said that when we accidentally hurt someone (Or even on purpose -ha) we should say "sorry" it's good manners. And she said, well, he wasn't bleeding. And then she said he was a faker for crying and so on.
Obviusly, I don't know what happened. And I know that the more she interacts with other kids (coming out of the parallel play stage) the more these things are going to happen. Is this worth calling the nursery worker?
Should I dismiss it because technically I wasn't in charge at the time, and assume it was handled?
Also, the other day at playgroup a little boy bopped her on the head (she wasn't letting him in a playhouse) and she just ate it up when the mom made him apologize. She even went up to that mom 2 or 3 times and said "that boy bonked my head" until I told the mom it was just the one time, and not to worry about it anymore!
I'm trying not to read character development issues into normal developmental ones :smile so I'm unsure how far to go on this aggression/restoration process.
Progress of a sort: she slapped me in the face again today (I don't know why she started this but I'm :banghead :mad
about it) and I plopped her on the couch and told her she needed to say she was sorry, and I went to the other room because I was pretty :mad! She apologized and didn't scream and cry after only about 5 minutes. If you knew that we have had her in the chair for over an hour screaming her head off half that time, you would know how relieved and more forgiving and loving I felt about getting slapped in the face. And God help me, it does hurt my feelings a little bit too kwim?
Thanks for advice!

ArmsOfLove
03-27-2005, 02:50 PM
(((((((Marsha)))))))) regardless of how much you know it's developmentally age appropriate, it hurts (physically and feelings) to have your precious child hit you in the face :hissyfit

Sounds like you responded much better than normal! Great job :)

I think what I'd try to add is more structure and physical play and maybe some wrestling with daddy (can decrease aggression in children).

Marsha
03-27-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm almost over my illness which is why I handled it better I think :highfive.
And you know, I didn't even think.......her Daddy is sick again. All the same yuckies he had before going gluten free, (and he's still gf) which make him a "shell of a man". I think she misses him, because they were very wild together. For obvious reasons, she can't bounce on my belly :D and stuff.
See what I can brainstorm. :think