PDA

View Full Version : Do you like your home and neighborhood?

ACboysmom
03-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Tonight I went for a walk and was thinking how blessed I am to live where I live. I love our home and our neighborhood. Of course, it has its flaws, but I know God put us here and I am so grateful for the place we live. Just wondering about everyone else, because for most of our married life either dh or I did not like where we lived. We moved to this home 5 months ago, and we both like it a lot! What about you????

tree_hugger
03-27-2005, 01:46 AM
I love our home and neighbourhood.

Our home is small, but cozy, which makes it easy to clean and maintain. We have a bedroom for me, one bedroom for the boys and a playroom. We have an open plan kitchen, dining and living area, and I am in the process of desinging a custom-made scrapbooking studio for the dining area. Our yard is small but green and easy to care for. I feel comfortable letting the boys play outside unsupervised, for short periods. We live behind a farm and can see fields and paddocks and cows from our back step.

Our street is quiet and the neighbours are fairly friendly, but mostly keep to themsevles, which I like. One of my best friends in the world lives next door! :hearts I occasionally scrapbook with a neighbour across the streeet, and some friends from our church who went to college with my husband many years ago live about five houses down the road. We can walk to two lovely, safe playgrounds.

The only thing I don't like is that there are no shops within walking distance from our home. Going to the market for bread or milk is a bit of a production with two toddlers. But it's a small price to pay for all the advantages we have here. :)

boonpnutsmom
03-27-2005, 01:55 AM
I love our home. It was built in 1963 and the previous owner is only the second owner and his parents were friends with the first owners. He renovated it, (mostly bandaid), but it was wonderful to be able to move in and not have to do anything, as I was 7 mos pregnant with our first. Now, almost 8 years later, yes we are having to do things, but I still love it. Our neighborhood is really quiet for the most part. It is an older neighborhood as most are retirees, but their families are moving back home to take care of aging parents. There are very few kids in our neighborhood, that would be the only change, but our three do have each other so I am not too worried. My husband does all of our cleaning and he is such a great guy to do this for me. I will one day make it up to him!!! :heart :heart

Miss Priss
03-27-2005, 12:11 PM
We love our home and neighborhood, too. It was totally God that put us here- our house in DC appreciated $70K in *one* year, and hten the people moving out of our home here in our new area had a job transfer and had to be out fast, so we got an unbelievable deal.
I can see the Blue Ridge mountains from my LR window, and a golf path goes right behind our backyard- great for walks with the kids.
It is very quiet, but the neighbors are friendly. Our neighbors across the street are believers with 8 kids (most of them grown) and the ones that are still at home are old enought to babysit if we ever need it. They actually did us a huge favor the day after Christmas- my h had to go into work and I had a horrible migraine, and one of the daughters and the dad came over to watch the kids and get them ready and in bed because I couldn't even move.
We feel very, very blessed.

ArmsOfLove
03-27-2005, 12:23 PM
I love our home. It is small, but it is God-provided and it is a miracl that we got it. It was built in 1942 and we are the third owners. It's got lots of neat original features and gorgeous real wood floors which is rare here. And I love our neighborhood. People do tend to keep to themselves but that's really how most neighborhoods are here. When we do talk to people they are friendly. And we're waiting for our home to get declared part of a historical district and appreciate to what HD homes are going for here and then we'll decide what to do :)

catholicapmom
03-27-2005, 12:33 PM
I'm not too happy with our home. I mean, I'm grateful that we have a roof over our heads, don't get me wrong. But it's too small for us and all the appliances need to be replaced. We only rent here and the landlord could care less about the appliances, so they won't replace them. And as far as the neighborhood goes...well, my car was broken into last year. :rolleyes And our neighbors are noisy and nosey. :lol

Booklover
03-27-2005, 02:24 PM
I like our house (although I hate cleaning it), except I wish it had a mudroom this time of year. I like the neighborhood. We are across from a river, and there is a homeschooling family with 5 children behind us. Plenty of kids to entertain mine. The only thing I wish is we had a bigger yard (houses are sooo expensive here), and there was a nice library within walking distance (we have to drive quite a ways). Other than that, I love it here.

Tengokujin
03-27-2005, 08:37 PM
I like our home. We live in an apartment which we moved to 3 weeks after Ds was born. I love it because I have a view of nature from my living room and veranda--I can see trees and grass and the river, and on a clear day, Mt. Fuji!! We were so blessed to find a home that had these bonuses that are so important to my mental sanity, but so unheard of in Tokyo. And priced for regular people like us! also, our building is new and most families are at our life stage--small children. I am making relationships with these other mothers that are so important for our kids and schooling later.

momofmany
03-28-2005, 03:15 PM
No, I don't like our home. We live in an apartment in a middle-class, starting to decline neighborhood. Our apartment needs a lot of work done on it and our building is right on a major boulevard and across the street from an amusement park so it's not really the kind of place where you can take a walk with the kids. Too much traffic and too many people around. Plus, it's starting to get sort of scary here ( we got a letter from the management telling us that someone had defecated in the laundry room :eek :sick) BUT, the good news is that we are hopefully moving very shortly to a very cute house in a really nice neighborhood. It was owned by a friend of ours who passed away last year and it will be a tremendous blessing! The original home that was on the lot burned down about seven years ago and this is the new one that was built in it's place. I can't wait! :D

MidnightCafe
03-28-2005, 06:34 PM
I LOVE my home. It was built in the 1870's, as near as we can tell. We've got all hard wood floors, 9ft ceilings, and it's small & cozy.

I have a difficult relationship with my neighborhood. I love it here and some days I really hate it. I live in a neighborhood notorious for poverty, crime, unemplyment, and population density. My car has been broken into twice. The windows on the house were broken once before we moved in while we were renovating. The pickets get busted off my fence on a regular basis. Trash gets strewn everywhere when people walk down the street & I have to extract it from my rosebushes - not a fun job. We hear gunshots on a regular basis.

Ok, so there's that.

But then, I know nearly everyone on my block. Someone mentioned living near a wonderful homeschooling family. There's a homeschooling family of six across the alley from me. I love the noise coming from the park across the street. I have a neighbor who is a great friend, a gentle Christian mama. Another neighbor called me this morning to see if we could go walking together in the mornings. DH'S parents live down the street & they are awesome!! We are within walking distance of the light rail, the co-op where we buy groceries, a library, and several other wonderful places. And God calls us to be here. So, we are here. We own our home & we're not going anywhere soon. We love the life all around us here. I love it that there are people out at all hours of day & night. Most of us hear what's going on outside our windows, & we look out for each other.

mommyTay
03-28-2005, 07:57 PM
I love our home, and I used to love our neighborhood. I grew up close to here and am within walking distance of many relatives. However, our next door neighbor has treated us terribly this past year and she seems to be influencing the neighbor on the other side of her. They act like we are not "good enough" to associate with, and have done and said some very rude things. What makes it very hurtful is that she then has the nerve to call and ask for a favor and hang up on me if I am not in a cheery, giving mood. :banghead

Last summer she stood in the middle of her yard yelling foul insults at us that she "moved to the country so she would not have to deal with noisy neighbors. " What she doesn't understand, and failed to check on BEFORE she moved here is that we have lived in the country our whole lives for the opposite reason. We can let the kids run out some noisy energy WITHOUT having to listen to rude, grumbling, NOISY yelling neighbors. Sometimes even 10 acres in the country is not big enough. :cry

I have started praying that they will move! I hate feeling like this about anyone, I am hurting inside and I am sure she doesn't care about anyone.
But enough whining, they may have the bigger income and fancier possessions, but I have the happier, more respectful children.

ACboysmom
03-28-2005, 08:04 PM
:) It is so wonderful to hear so many replies and get to know each other better. :cup :)

RealLifeMama
03-28-2005, 08:51 PM
We just moved here in November and I must say I am still getting used to it.
My neighborhood is not as friendly as my old neighborhood- I met a few people but only a handful and those that I did meet made a point of telling me how much they missed the people that used to live here!
I really *love* my old house, even though it was too small for us, I loved it and still love it. So, I miss it.

But, I love this house, too and feel so incredibly blessed to live here, even though it needs lots of work.
It has nothing of what I loved about our old home, but this home is very spacious for us, and the yard is wonderful and the kids absolutely love being here and so does DH and I really like the kitchen.

And God really handed it to us on a platter, so I can'thelp butlove it because when I think of living here, I think of nothing less then Him, and His provision and His love for us!

Shawn
04-01-2005, 06:39 AM
Some days I love this place...We live in a 1971 Fleetwood -- a classic :D ;) There's room for dd to run inside, lots of windows and beautiful mountain veiws. But it's poorly insulated, the front porch roof is about to collapse, and I think it's really a giant wasps nest. The carpet looks like it has mange, too :rolleyes

I LOVE our neighborhood. I'm not too close with our neighbors, but it's the south so everyone waves ;) Horse pasture winds through the property, and landlord has 3 horses. Our neighbor has a pony and two goats, who should be giving birth any day now. There are also chickens, dogs and cats. There are two little boys that live next door who are mean to dd :rolleyes, but we just stay away when they're outside playing.

Close2MyHeart
04-01-2005, 07:37 AM
I love our home and our little acre of land. :) We live in a ranch style home that was built in 73. We just bought it this past August and I love it. Has plenty of space for the children and us. And the land is nice. I feel very blessed with it!! However, it's not where we plan to 'stay'. We want to buy 15-20 acres of woods and build a two story home. We have lots of plans, just not the means to do them yet! :) But I do feel very very blessed to be where we are!!

Kaz
04-01-2005, 08:00 AM
Yes and no....We've lived here two years now. We renovated it completely (blood, sweat and tears ) which made it more 'ours' . Its a lovely little village. But its a semi-detached and the neighbours are noisy and I don't feel like there's much privacy. Despite dd being born here, it still doesn't quite feel like *home*...we will need to move on when the family grows, and that will be bittersweet.