PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old range?

Abinsmom
03-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Well, we did it, we took the plunge and bought a new gas range today. It's all part of the 'I can't stand to live in this house any longer unless we give the kitchen a facelift' movement, so voila -- last weekend we had a gas line piped into the kitchen and today we bought ourselves a gas range. It's very cool -- it's duel fuel -- the cooktop is gas and the ovens (double) are electric. The finish is stainless which is what we are slowly converting to in our kitchen.

The question is what can I do with my old electric coil range? Home Depot will take it away for free but they just recycle it. It's in perfectly good working condition (it's 8.5 years old) and I'd love to give it to someone who could use it rather than have it go to the junk yard for parts, you know?

Anyone have any ideas?

Heather
03-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Freecycle???

ACboysmom
03-26-2005, 11:16 PM
We have our old one in the basement as we plan on having a kitchenette down there for extra food, art projects (like fimo), etc.

Just a byline....You are going to love the dual fuel! I just got mine in November. What a change in my life and my cooking!!!! It is so great. Congratulations!!!!!! :clap

Rosie

ShangriLewis
03-27-2005, 09:10 AM
That is the oven we want after we pay off the Washer and Dryer. I would contact my church and see if they know off anyone.
Heather

Abinsmom
03-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Rosie -- I'm glad you like your dual fuel. I've had a hard time finding reviews on this range, so hope I will like it. I needed a double-oven and this was the only way to get one without reconfiguring the cabinets and taking precious countertop space for a separate cooktop.

If you see this post and feel so inclined, tell me specifically what you like about having dual fuel -- thanks!

Karen

ACboysmom
03-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Sorry for the long delay in replying. Had ds on lap last night and could not post and nak with only one hand off and on!!!!

I love my dual fuel range for several reasons. The first is that we moved from a rental into our new home and so ANYTHING would be better than the stove in the rental house!!!!! But, I love to bake, so electric was the only way to go for the oven. It has convection and I can cook three batches of banana bread or 5 dozen cookies at once. I love that. I have never had a gas cooktop, however, dh always did and said they were great. I have heard that from many sources. Now that I have it , I really like it because it is instant. I turn it on, I control the temp to the exact level I want it. And I love the cast iron grate because I can really clean the stovetop after things boil over. And I can use the grate as an extra cooling rack when I am baking and not using the cooktop. I hope you like yours too. Having a double oven sounds great. We did not have room for that big of a space for ovens.

Rosie :)

Abinsmom
03-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Rosie -- Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it! I can't wait to discover this new range myself. The one I currently have probably cost the builder about $50 (8 years ago!) to install. The oven temp is completely uncontrollable (each batch of cookies I bake comes out differently from pan to pan -- grrrr!). The electric coil burners I actually like because I've figured them out over the years, but they're ugly and hard to clean.

This new dual-fuel we bought is the standard 30" wide but has two ovens instead of the normal one-oven-plus-storage-drawer. The smaller oven is on top just under the range top (and about the same height as a storage drawer) and the bottom oven is a full-size oven with optional convection. Ours is a Jenn-Air, but Maytag also makes a similar model called the Gemini. I really wanted a professional-style range, but couldn't make the space for it (they're usually wider if you want a double oven), so I had to make due. Our house is only 2100 sq. ft., so I decided to put a professional range in the kitchen would be sort-of out of place, you know?

I hope so much I like this thing -- it's so hard to know without testing it first! Wish me luck!
Karen

ACboysmom
03-28-2005, 09:17 PM
You are going to do great! It sounds really cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to hear how you like it. I know what you mean about putting the upscale model in...not enough space and not ever going to get the money for it if you try to sell the house. But it is worth it to do what you decided...great decision on so many fronts! Have fun cooking!

OnlyBelieve
03-30-2005, 08:39 AM
I agree with freecycle.