PDA

View Full Version : food allergies and the red ring

moosemama
03-26-2005, 08:31 PM
I know that a "red ring around the anus" is a classic food allergy symptom, but I don't know if what DS periodically has is the red ring or if it's just redness. He rarely has any diaper rash, but off and on ds has redness between his cheeks. It often has a circular (well, more oval) shape, but it's on his cheeks, not so much right around his anus. Is this the Red Ring of Allergy Doom?

ArmsOfLove
03-26-2005, 09:25 PM
It sounds like it. The only time I've seen this and not suspected allergies is if there are little pooper/tooters that you don't realize you need to change the diaper for :blush and they have poo on them until the next pee diaper change. Then it's irritation--otherwise it usually signals an allergy--but it could be minor. I'd start looking for a pattern--is there a similar food that results in it?

cobluegirl
03-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Josie had this this week...the only thing I can think of is she has been eating strawberries,....she loves things that are red...and can't eat tomatoes...she totally breaks out with those....grrr...

cklewis
03-26-2005, 09:33 PM
Yes, yes, yes -- ITA with Crystal. I've been a regular RRAtA detective these last few months. And sometimes a little sneaky poo will hang around and may cause some redness. If it's not gone by the next diaper change, then it's allergies, IMNSHO.

Yes, I sit around and think about that ABSENCE of a ring while I pass DH the cheese and yogurt. Sigh. . . . :cookie

C

ArmsOfLove
03-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Rachael, Aidan had bleeding eczema from citric acid so he couldn't eat tomatoes, strawberries, any berries, etc.

cobluegirl
03-26-2005, 09:50 PM
so we haven't had any bleeding but the eczema on her butt totally breaks out with tomatoes....I haven't noticed anything with the other fruit..she had half a grapefruit earlier....will have to see how she is tomorrow...Thanks for the heads up..she's had a diaper rash since OCT.....

moosemama
03-27-2005, 08:14 AM
That's what I was afraid of. I think I've been in denial for some time now. I've watched it, not close enough to be sure of a pattern related to foods (I suspect it's dairy, however :( ), but I've watched it enough to know it doesn't go away between diaper changes and it is (most of the time) not because of sitting in a poopy diaper or having a little bit left in there.

I know this has been posted about a zillion times but I never really paid much attention since I never really thought we'd have to deal with it, and with the old archives gone I can't search. Sooo... what's the best of way figuring out what the allergy is? Keep a food diary for myself and him for a few weeks? Jump straight to an elimination diet?

moosemama
03-27-2005, 08:15 AM
Oh, and one other question.. am I remembering correctly that food allergies can cause frequent night wakings and poor sleeping?

cklewis
03-27-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm not the expert that others here are, but I can help a little.

I started at AskDrSears for info on the elimination diet (http://www.askdrsears.com/search.asp). I started with dairy and soy just on a hunch, and I noticed skin improvement after 4 days. He did seem to sleep better too.

I miss my cheese a lot, but we'll manage, I know. :hug

C

ArmsOfLove
03-27-2005, 09:15 AM
yes, it can cause night waking, and other things.

And you can start a food diary--wouldn't hurt--but I'm a big proponent of trusting your intuition and if you think it's dairy it probably is. I would probably go off of all dairy (hidden and obvious) for 30 days and see what happens. You'll know if you need to keep it up. :hug we're here for you.

Also, check out Whole Foods' website and they have a whole section for special diets and a page for dairy free with recipes and links and all sorts of good stuff :)

moosemama
03-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks... I am sure I will need the support in eliminating dairy. But it's the best thing for him, so I will do it. But I'm gonna have to wait until the Easter chocolate's gone, I'm afriad.... :yum :blush

ArmsOfLove
03-27-2005, 10:09 AM
:lol ITU!

findingjoy
03-27-2005, 11:15 PM
We've had allergy issues too and have found much helpful info from http://nutramed.com/
Just thought I'd pass it along. :)

moosemama
03-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the info jlynn!