PDA

View Full Version : I feel dumb asking.....

AKCristyMJ
03-26-2005, 06:07 PM
What IS "unschooling"??

And I'm also curious how and why you chose to homeschool.
I'd love to but hubby still disagrees with it :(
I am determined to homeschool for my childrens Jr.High and highshool years though.

arymanth
03-26-2005, 08:59 PM
"Unschooling" covers a wide range of actual philosophies and techniques, but basically, it is homeschooling without following a pre-packaged curriculum. For some families, it may involve using some textbooks or curriculum in a very loose, casual way, while others may rely exclusively on "real books" and other real life resources to teach their kids. My family falls somewhere in the middle. We use a lot of "real books"... good fiction and non-fiction books we get from the library. We use lots of books on tape, historical fiction, and reading aloud to teach things like reading, language/grammar, English literature, etc. We use online resources and hands-on opportunities to teach things like science and some history. But for math, I do augment my own teaching with Math-U-See videos.

There are lots of good websites on unschooling, my favorite is http://home-educate.com/unschooling/index.shtml.

Hope this helps!

Stephanie

ArmsOfLove
03-26-2005, 09:22 PM
as for your second question . . . I knew in Kindergarten that my children would never go to school :)