PDA

View Full Version : What is your homeschool's name?

Winkie
03-26-2005, 04:34 PM
just curious. :)

blessedmomof4
03-26-2005, 05:47 PM
We don't have one. :( I want one tho!!

Sandy
03-26-2005, 06:45 PM
American Christian Academy

That was the name of the small school my kids went to in Florida. My daughter wanted that name to be on her diploma...voila!

Krystyne
03-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Hinder Them Not Christian Academy.

mom2_AthruZ
03-26-2005, 07:15 PM
The Fertile Ground
Luke 8:15

Sounds like a band or a coffee shop I know, but what can you expect from unschoolers?LOL

Iarwain
03-26-2005, 07:18 PM
The [lastname] Home Academy for the Exceptionally Bright

Even though we're unschoolers too and don't do much that most people would consider very "academic".

I admit I borrowed the idea from another mom on a homeschooling list. It struck my egotistical sense of being mom to the most wonderful intelligent kids in the world. :mrgreen

I really only gave us the name officially this past year and haven't used it for anything. We don't have any kind of reporting or anything. But since in my state homeschoolers are officially considered private schools I thought it appropriate that we should have a name and the attendance form that I have to keep (but not show anyone) has a space for a name so I whimsically picked that to write in it so I guess we have a name now.

Sara
03-26-2005, 10:08 PM
We don't have a name. When dd was 4, she wanted to our school "Happy Hands Homeschool" for a period of time, but she forgot about it after awhile and I guess I've never thought much about having a name since.

JessicaTX
03-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Freedom Academy

My children picked it, from the verse "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free"

Wendy
03-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Oh, I like these ideas. We're at least a year away from anything more than unschooling preschool; I hope you don't mind if I'm in here taking notes!

Winkie
03-27-2005, 06:47 AM
Wendy, that's what I'm doing too! :lol

Miss Priss
03-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Ours is Legacy Academy. :)
I was ordering something last year from a publisher that normally sells to schools, and I had to give the name of a school to order... I was on the phone and had to come up with a quick answer. I looked down at the papers beside me, which were papers from my dds' cheerleading squad- All Star Legacy.. so Legacy Academy it was. :lol
Now, I like it so much I'm really owning the name for our homeschool, IYKWIM, a legacy for our children is surely our goal!

Teribear
03-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Jesse Tree Academy -- When she was in preschool I even had a little uniform shirt that I embroidered for her with a logo and the words "Jesse Tree Academy Preschool" on it for when we went on "field trips". LOL!

My DD's name is Jessica (we call her Jessi) and the Jesse Tree is a biblical picture of the line the Messiah would come from.

Technically we are not considered homeschoolers (Tennessee's laws are a bit wierd) so techincally she attends "Gateway Christian School" and we are a satellite campus. But within our home and with our family and friends the name is Jessi Tree Academy.

Piper2
03-27-2005, 03:20 PM
At the moment we're "[Last Name}haus School", but if I can think of anything more clever, I might try to convince Kevin to change it. ;) Or if we ever move to a state that requires that we submit records, we'll change it to something more "academic" sounding. :/

waremock
03-27-2005, 03:23 PM
We have no name either. :think

PurpleButterfly
03-27-2005, 03:42 PM
We're Knowledge House - refers to ds's fave Sunday School song, "In my Father's House", and that all knowledge comes from Him. It also feels right for our unschooling home, and the fact that we consider the whole world (our Father's House in another way) to be our classroom. :)

BluegrassMama
03-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Weathertop Academy :)

MySeoulChild
03-29-2005, 09:51 AM
PACE (pronounced pah-chay) Day School - stands for Parent-led Alternative Christian Education

Pace is the latin word for "peace", which is why we chose it (thanks to a mama here)

We have two logos we use, depending on the need:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/myseoulchild/thpacepeacelogosmall-1.jpg

and this one, which is based on the Italian Peace Flag
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/myseoulchild/PACEflagsubtitle.jpg

Sara
03-29-2005, 10:16 AM
This thread has been so inspiring! You all have such creative names. I'd like to talk more with my dd about naming our school to see if she has any good ideas. :tu

ServingGod
03-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Not official yet...but we are tossing around St. Photini Academy. There are lots of reasons why. :)

littlehoney
03-29-2005, 01:00 PM
*last name here* Learning Center

mom2_AthruZ
03-29-2005, 01:38 PM
After looking at ours in print I have decided I like "Fertile Ground" better than "The Fertile Ground" ;) I haven't decided if I want to add something like learning center etc. to it or npt. I like the names everyone has and how they fit each family!! :tu

Mama Bird
03-29-2005, 03:07 PM
We are "Elijah Christian Academy."

Elijah because I took E,L, and I from my daughter's first name and J,A, and H from my son's first name. :)

Christian...'cause that's what we are...and we are using a devoutly Christian curriculum :P

Academy...because it sounds hifalutin'. (insert snooty smilie here...)

We're thinking of changing it to "Busy Bees Christian Academy" because I'm MamaBee, and our last name starts with B. And...we're pretty busy folk. ;)

allisonintx
03-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Well, my business is Fruit of the Spirit. It includes many things, so I guess we'll just put the school under it as well.

Winkie
03-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Oh I love the ideas! (i'm battling the flu & havent been online)

One question: Why did so many of you choose "Academy"? it seems like a trend here.

Mama Bird
03-30-2005, 03:03 PM
We chose academy because to me, it denotes so much more than just school. To me, it sounds more superior. :P And I definitely believe that the education she's getting at home is far superior to the one she was getting in public school.

Iarwain
03-30-2005, 05:03 PM
One question: Why did so many of you choose "Academy"? it seems like a trend here.

What the pp said but also because I don't like the connotations of the word "school". But then that's me and I have issues with most culturally conventional structures. ;)

Mothering by Heart
03-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Ours is Lake Gregory Classical Academy. We live by Lake Gregory, we use the classical method(eclectically relaxed ;)) and like Haley said, Academy sounds hifalutin' :mrgreen

Mother of Sons
03-31-2005, 12:39 AM
nt

AprilBr
03-31-2005, 09:21 AM
Tiger Academy

After Clemson University... :mrgreen

Happy Mom
03-31-2005, 09:46 AM
High tide academy. Home of the starfish. :)

fourbygrace
03-31-2005, 11:21 PM
Ours is Prairie Academy, named for where we live.

Blessings,
Mary

findingjoy
04-01-2005, 08:45 AM
I was thinking about this the other night in bed before I went to sleep and thought of a great name. Of course, now I cant' remember exactly what it was!

I think it might have been

Academy for Creative Minds
or
Creative Minds Academy

The creative mind part is because my ds is extraordinarily creative. he has a wonderful imagination and I hope to foster that and not squelch it. The academy is just to make it sound official and academic in case we actually had to use it with other people. We have great homeschooling laws in my state though.

I love reading the names everyone has picked out. Very inspiring!

MamaBeth
04-01-2005, 08:09 PM
The Rainbow Home Academy..our mascot is a rainbow striped butterfly (The wings looks like back to back Rs with the bottom rounded and closed off, as a take on our last name).

littlehoney
04-22-2005, 10:23 AM
I thought about using the word academy and then i looked it up in the dictionary. I decided it didn't fit because academies usually incorporate some kind of studies in the fine arts. We attend a local academy of performing arts already, so i decided to go with *sirname* Learning Center. It just seemed more fitting for us since we only do structured academics, at this point in time. Later on down the road i hope to be more creative and free spirited! :pray

4Cygnets
04-22-2005, 04:38 PM
We are "Hidden Brook Christian Academy." We came up with the name from our yard, it floods :laughtears we have an old clay pipe that runs diagonally across our property and it is broken in spots and has eroded underground. We actually need to have it fixed but it will be $5k or more. So, to put a little humor into the situation....Hidden Brook!

My dh suggested Twin Oaks, because we do have an oak tree that has 2 tops, but he was saying that from Gone With the Wind :rolleyes and I was thinking Mighty Maple Christian Academy for our huge maple tree, or Pine Acres Christian Academy. Or we liked Bass Lake Christian Academy (because we live on Bass Lake. That was actually our favorite, but there is a daycare down the road named Bass Lake Daycare and we didn't want to be confused with them :P

So now that I"ve rambled :mrgreen That is our homeschool name, we'll see if we stick with it! ;)

gracefuljourney
04-23-2005, 03:48 AM
Back when we lived in NC, we had to name our "school" . . . I prayed about it and God gave me

Shepherd Academy

Sanctuary of
Home
Education
Preparing
Hearts in
Evangelism
Righteousness and
Discipleship

We just got an ad in the mail that we can have custom University T-shirts made . . . so it would say our last name University. All of our kids want those so we may go that route for a while.

Piper2
04-23-2005, 07:46 AM
My brother and his wife have been homeschooling their 9yo all her life, and their homeschool is called something like Eagle's Wings Academy of Excellence (I can't remember if that's it exactly). Personally, I think it's a rather, as someone said, "high-falootin" name for a 1-kid homeschool out in the boonies, but to each his own. ;)