PDA

View Full Version : Our Solution

BHope
03-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Well for those who read my all night nursing vent a while back I thought I'd update. Her nursing has gotten better. She still nurses at least 2 or 3 times a night, but goes back to her sidecar after each time. The first couple of nights I had to drag myself up to move her. Well, last night I was so tired I thought: "I'll just let her stay in bed with me." No sooner did I think that when Dd unlatched and PUSHED me out of the way. She wanted her own space! :eek Surprising little goof-ball.

I am glad she is liking having her sidecar. However, I find it a bit ironic that she's taking to her own sleep space but continues to need nursing through the night. :rolleyes The one MAJOR upside to her loving her sidecar is that with my frequent night wakings to pee I am not disturbing her. Praise the Lord for little victories.

GrumpyMom
03-27-2005, 06:23 PM
congrats on being able to pee in the middle of the night! i know exactly how you feel about that, and i'm not even pg!

i didn't know whether to answer here or in your other thread, but i thought i'd share some of our experiences and ideas. my ds is 22 mos. and is "nearly" nightweaned. if the nursing at night gets to be too much you could try some techniques from NCSS or check out Dr Jay Gordon's nightweaning method (for a seven hr. window anyway). ds still is still bfing but at 19 mos. i was just too tired and something had to change, so i did let him cry for about 5 min. next to me in bed while i used key words ("mommy's here, time for sleeping"). the thing is that you have to be consistent. it's confusing to them if you don't let them one night but you do let them another - if you can stick with something for 3 or 4 nights they learn the system. you might not be emotionally ready for that step yet, and that's okay. you'll know when the time is right. ITA with Crystal - maybe there is something causing frequent waking. 15 mos. is a pretty typical time for eye teeth (ouch!) so you could try some infants motrin or tylenol before bed and some anbesol or teething tablets. I also agree that some babies are more sensitive to cold and/or wet than others. For those freqent wakings around 3 or 4 you could try keeping a fresh diaper on your nightstand and do a super quick change in the dark. I did that when ds was younger. I also pull his legs into my tummy, cover him with the blanket and say "snuggle in with your mommy now" and somehow that helps him drift back off with extra warm comfy nummies.

i'm glad the sidecar is working! good luck and hugs with the night nursing!

crunchymum
03-28-2005, 10:30 AM
:mrgreen

i'm glad it's working for you! hugs, mama! :)

milkmommy
03-28-2005, 11:26 AM
We used a side car almost from the start with DD and we noticed the same thing. She tended to move over and snuggle with us for a long time but eventually she seemed to prefer her own space but still woke to feed for quite a while. I think its a good indication they still really NEED to nurse at these times. I did find if I gave extra attention and "cluster fed" towards bedtime that really helped, I also topped her off when I finially came to bed.

Deanna