PDA

View Full Version : stainless steel countertops

greenemama
03-26-2005, 09:13 AM
does anyone here have them? where did you get them? how much per square foot (if that's not TMI :) )? what do you love about them? what do you hate about them?

linkage?

we're working out a kitchen remodelling budget of sorts so that we can save and get started! woo hoo! :jump :roll

Iarwain
03-26-2005, 03:08 PM
If you get them tell me all about them.

I really wanted them but we wound up with laminate 'cause we don't own the house and we had to acquiesce to someone else's budget. When we eventually build our dream home that's what we'll get. Sooo practical. I worked at DQ in high school and loved the stainless counters there. They clean up so easily and are extremely durable. If you get frantic about smudges and scratches they might not be for you, but after a while all the little scratches turn into more of an overall patina. The best way we cleaned them at DQ was to get a clean wet rag, a clean dry rag, and a bucket of hot hot water (the hotter the better). Wash all the mess off first and then wipe with the hot water and clean rag and polish with the dry rag. It got them looking great and the shine lasted better than with Windex.

I have heard that sometimes you can find them used from restaurant supply places or junkyards when restaraunts get rid of them. Don't know if that's your cup of tea or if you could find the size/shape you need, but it's a thought.

greenemama
03-26-2005, 06:46 PM
we have kind of weird dimensions but looking for them used is a good idea! :tu

thanks! i'll let you know. so far we're recycling our vintage (love that word, righ? :) ) cabinets and are planning on refurbishing them and then getting countertops and a new sink first. then we'll get a dishwasher! :jump then flooring and other appliances and possibly some good upper cabinetry if we can find something that looks good with the stuff we've got. i'm so excited. it was really nice to have dh wandering around the kitchen with a tape measure. :)

Abinsmom
03-26-2005, 09:04 PM
Oooo, I'm in the process of giving my kitchen a facelift so your post is of interest to me! We are keeping our cabinets (which I hate, but we touched them up with stain and it did wonders, plus added some hardware, and they look great -- can't believe we never did it before and our house is almost 9 years old!). We are doing stainless steel appliances but not stainless countertops -- they sound so cool! What color are your appliances? How does the price of stainless compare to quartz or granite?

By the way, we are doing quartz countertops -- also very durable and non-porous (unlike granite). We bought our first stainless appliance today and will have it in a week. It's a slow process for us because we pay cash for everything, so our project will take probably a year, but by the time we're done, I think we'll really like it!

I'd love to know more about your project! Post here or PM me if you like!

Karen

greenemama
03-26-2005, 09:31 PM
right now our appliances are an icky golden color. but they work and they came with the house so we love them. :)

we're planning on buying stainless appliances. what i really really really want is this delicious AGA (http://www.aga-ranges.com/index.cfm) stove in red? or maybe black?.

http://www.aga-ranges.com/models/images/4oven.gif

sigh. too bad they start at an impossible five thousand dollars. i hate money! :banghead

from what i gather, stainless counters start at $89 a square foot. we've a relatively small kitchen with weird quirks to it so we won't be needing a lot of stainless countertop since we're planning on a large sink and a 36 inch stove. we're looking for a nice old beefy butcher block (freestanding) to go where the kitchen table is now to create more workable space.

just thinking about it today made me feel really domestic. it's nice to have good tools, you know? and it's even fun to just think about them. :cup

edited to fix link. :)

Abinsmom
03-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Oooo, I saw that AGA at the Seattle Home Show last month and love it! I was envisioning the perfect little farmhouse with a stove like that -- what fun! And red -- even more fun!

Yes, our kitchen is small, too, and we really only have about 52 sq. ft. of countertop so where I thought our quartz or granite countertops would be $8-10,000, they'll really only be about $5500, I think. Of course, we'll have to buy a new sink, faucet, soap dispenser, and disposal, so che-ching, che-ching, che-ching....

Sigh. I hate money, too!