PDA

View Full Version : Migraine help?

mommyTay
03-26-2005, 06:00 AM
I know my main triggers for migraines, stress, storm fronts and menstral cycle. I need to know if anyone else has had these and if there is a way to prevent or atleast minimize the problem.

The worst is the menstral migraines. Every 28 days, 2 days before the time of the months starts, I get a migraine that last 3 days. Is there any way to deal with this other than painkillers? The one time I asked my family doctor, they just gave me a presciption for pain meds. I would really like a way to prevent it, not just dull the pain.

I have 3 wonderful children, I can't afford to lose this much time to migraines.

Thanks!

cobluegirl
03-26-2005, 02:45 PM
migranes can be cured through homeopathy. I know several ladies who never get them anymore.

I take homeopathic sulpher when I feel one coming on..which is rare but it has worked for me. But with homeopathy it depends upon your other symptoms as well.

Marrae
03-27-2005, 06:10 AM
My doctor told me to start taking the painkillers the night before the migraine starts, if it is cyclical. The earlier you hit it with the painkiller the better. I use dispersible painkiller as it is absorbed quicker.

Mamaka
03-27-2005, 03:15 PM
I occasionally get "atypical" migraines which have an "unidentified" trigger. :rolleyes (dr speak, I think, for they have no idea!). Anyway, I've found the only thing that really works for me for getting rid of them is a heavy dose of caffeine. I usually take it in the form of a mocha, :cup the only time I ever drink coffee.

Sorry can't give you more help on preventing them. :hug

Punkie
03-27-2005, 07:12 PM
Dr. Mercola has a bunch of stuff on his site that you might find useful :)

After doing a lot of reading online, I decided to keep a food journal to see if I could figure out my trigger. I've found that they are generally cyclical, but a secondary cause is if my meals are unbalanced (generaly with too many carbs and not enough protein).

Gretchen
03-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Like Punkie, I've found that too many carbs (*especially* too much sugar) are a headache trigger for me. I've had some success with drinking lots of water, peppermint tea helps sometimes, and putting peppermint EO on my temples provides temporary relief. Taking cod liver oil during/right before my period helps quite a bit too.

Gretchen

mommyTay
03-27-2005, 09:12 PM
thanks for the suggestions, I will try them out. Something has to help! :idea

lmgeenw
04-02-2005, 03:41 PM
I used to have terrible migraines in college and would just sit in the dark crying for hours. Then I learned about biofeedback, which is a type of relaxation that can drastically reduce pain and headaches. 10-20 minutes a day can have a HUGE impact. You might want to look into it. If you want more information, let me know. I don't have a lot of time to write right now. I hardly ever get migraines anymore unless I am not taking time to relax and am under too much stress.

Leah