PDA

View Full Version : Is this the flu?

Winkie
03-26-2005, 05:18 AM
I've never had the flu as far as I can remember and apparently still haven't even though I'm guessing that's what my boys & dh have. (PTL He protected me since i have a 4mo nursling, so he's stayed healthy!)

The boys were fine on Sat. then Sun. spent the entire day on the sofa, dosing off & on. They had peak temps of 102 & 104. Mon they seemed almost themselves, Tues about the same, Wed back in bed all day. Then it was up & down with each of them - one day good, 1-2 bad. Temps also have been down to normal, then up to 103, & everywhere in between. They have no appetite. Every time I think they're on their way to getting better, they "crash" again. It will be 2 wks tomorrow of this illness. The last day or so they seem better again, so I'm optimistic that this is it. So, does this sound like flu to you?

cobluegirl
03-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Are they puking or have diarhea or bad snot coughing? or are they just lethargic and fevered??

cobluegirl
03-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Here is a website on colds...

http://www.commoncold.org/undrstnd.htm

Winkie
03-26-2005, 03:38 PM
no vomiting, no diarrhea. a little cough probably because they don't blow their noses. clear runny nose, not too much coming out. fever & lethargy are the main symptoms.

i was guessing flu because it came on so fast & they had fevers. is this up & down business normal?

i've been treating with echinacea, kids' zinc, elderberry syrup, their regular multi-vitamin, & temp assure (herbs 4 kids) although i've been giving them rather haphazardly since i'll think about giving them something only to find that they're asleep. so then i forget till much later. :blush we've also given them pediasure in the last few days because they don't want to eat, although their appetites are improving now.

cobluegirl
03-26-2005, 09:33 PM
sounds like flu to me even though the other symptoms aren't present. I would say continue what you are doing. add some Vit C. and make sure their fluids are good.

Winkie
03-27-2005, 06:50 AM
thanks rachael! they're both much much better this morning, so i hope this upswing lasts. it's been 2 wks today. ugh! i hope we don't ever get it again!