PDA

View Full Version : Planting a vegetable garden...

Granola Mom
03-24-2005, 10:34 PM
I live in Washington....I'm planting the basics....broccoli, leaf lettuce, beans tomatoes, carrots. Any tips or tricks?

Oh for you tomato growers, I do have a trick for ya....If you buy a tomato plant start from your nursery, plant it in the ground so that 75% of the plant is in the ground. This helps establish a fantastic root system!

godsgracegiven
03-25-2005, 01:58 AM
Don't have alot of tips but live in WA too, can I hang out on your garden thread. :lol :mrgreen

Granola Mom
03-25-2005, 11:31 AM
oooh, I see you are in Vancouver! I am up here in Issaqquah (20minutes east of Seattle)....my BIL and SIL live in Vancouver!

Wikolia
03-31-2005, 05:47 PM
I am in Ca and am toward the end of my winter garden harvest. I had lettuce, broccoli and carrots. I have grown them all in the past, but this past season was my first year in our current location.

The lettuce-did poorly, I think because of all the rains we had. They got a powdery mildew and I had to waste most of the crop. Grew them last winter in pots and they did great. However, I have three rogue lettuce plants that are growing now, without any help from me. I need to pull them before the snails eat into them much more.

Carrots-did great! planted them very close (square foot garden style) and my dd loves eating them. We are a bit spoiled with the baby carrots you buy at the store, so my son won't eat my homegrown ones, but my dd isn't picky :) My dogs love them too. I planted half-longs (don't know why in the world I did that) so they are a pain to peel. (they are about 4-6 inches long) I do need to peel them since they taste like dirt if I don't, no matter how hard I scrub. But if I peel them they are just as yummy as the store bought stuff.

Broccoli-about 1/3 crop buttoned-don't know why, certainly wasn't from a lack of consistent moisture. The rest were tasty (still have some growing) but didn't get too big. I don't think I thinned enough. I love broccoli and might plant some next year, but not sure how much.

oh, I also have peas growing that are starting to pod, and the plants are looking very healthy (unlike my garlic and onions, which are drowning in all the rains :( For the first time in my life I am sick of rain)

that's been my experience so far...
Vicki